6. Crimes of Another

Another day's travel brings us four nights away from the human realm

Another day's travel brings us four nights away from the human realm. I settle back onto my knees and watch Roane's magic seep into the earth, powering the protection symbols. If there's one thing he's insisted on is me activating the protection spells. He says we're in this together, and as such, his magic is mine as well. I can navigate them with more ease now. The first few days, they felt heavy in my stomach, but now I'm able to control the tightness and burn, and the lingering need to be near Roane once the magic has settled.

"So this is what it feels like when you take on the darkness?" I slip my hand from his. "That queasiness in the pit of your stomach?"

Roane nods. "Only it's a lot worse than a stomach ache. I shared once with someone after she'd turned, just to see what it would feel like when I took it on. It paralyzed me for a few days, and I couldn't shake the nightmares, the voices and screams for weeks." He shakes his head. "I never want that, and if the king would allow for our people to be educated, I'm sure they wouldn't want it either."

I ease close beside him. "Why doesn't he let them choose?"

"He's bitter and angry. It's consumed him and he won't allow for any light."

I lower my eyes to my hands, remembering his words from a few nights before. I'd been letting my darkness block out all light. But I'm ready to let it back in. It's thoughts of Caleb that bolster me, help me resist Roane after we Share. It's as if the closer we get to Convent, the more I can feel Caleb. Through all these barriers of magic, I sense him and wonder if he feels me, too. But remembering the explosion at the store, I know he doesn't. He thinks I'm dead.

Roane thumbs through the journal. From beside him, I follow along. Everything the sprites told us is reiterated, from every message sent to each kingdom to all of the maps of their worlds. It was obvious Lara planned on going to each of these kingdoms, a testament to her faith that the realms could be reconciled. After pages of maps and notes on each kingdom, their customs, and the messages sent, we reach the last page and my heart sinks.

"I wish she would have written who she suspected was trying to stop her. If I'd had known she was in danger, I would have helped somehow..." I let out a sigh.

"Maybe she didn't know and was protecting you. When did she give you the journal?"

"A few weeks before she vanished."

He nods. "The sprites said she was scared for her life and that someone wanted to kill her. She had run out of time. Maybe she didn't know who it was that wanted her dead until it was too late. She had already given you the journal. At least that was safe. Contacting you could have been dangerous."

I sigh, weaving my hands into my curls. "That means Caleb isn't safe either." The thought of any harm coming to him is like a stab in the heart. I turned him down continuously, yes, but selfishly, I always knew he would return, knew he would find a way back to me. But to imagine existing in a world without him leaves me without air.