Surprise Encounters

First, I really need to thank TrueSupernatural13 . Without her, I would have never posted this. 

~~~~~~~ 

I have done this so many times. Check the tracks, have the blade ready, watch your back. Remains scatter the trail, and I am numb to the fear that would have plagued me not that long ago. But this is different, I'm not alone. I don't think its the shifter I'm chasing either. My stomach burns, and my head is swimming.

Keep going.

The concept is still too much for me. Vengeful soldiers after the vengeful dead. Man Vs Demon to make it up for someone they couldn't save. That's why Dad did it, that's why his partners did it. That's why everyone does it .Then you are in too deep, determined to save as many as you can. That's what happened to Dad, that's what happened to his partners, and that happens to everyone. They all end up dead because of it. Now it's going to happen to me as well.

Dad did it for his brother.

His partner did it for his mom.

Now Dad's gone, and his partner probably is too.

And here I am. It's a vicious cycle.

The man is still behind me. Silent, but there. I act like I don't notice, then turn the corner to catch him off guard. Before he knows it he's up against the wall with my knife to his neck.

"Who the hell are you and why are you following me?"

He puts his hands up, genuinely surprised by my reaction.

"Listen kid, I think I'm doing the same thing you are."

That voice. It opens a door I promised myself I would never open again. Out of surprise, I falter back and he regains his stance.

It can't be him. No way.

It is dark here, and I can barely see his face, but I know from his voice it's him. My father's old hunting partner, Dean Winchester.

Family dinners and tea parties. The smell of gun powder and leather. Telling me the salt in all the door ways and window seals were for good luck. The way that same voice was cracking the last time I saw him.

I stumble over my own feet in the trance and my back hits the opposite wall. He grabs my shoulders and lifts me up; "Hey kid, you alright?"

"I-I gotta go." I take his arm off my shoulder and try to leave, but he moves into my way.

"Wait- how old are you anyway? You shouldn't be hunting in the first place, definitely not on your own."

"It doesn't matter, I'm leaving. You can take the case."

"There's no way in hell your eighteen." I can barely see his face, but I can see the concern nonetheless.

He pulls out his flashlight and shines it.

I could see the recognition in Dean's eyes. "Wait, how do I know you?"

I'm not ready for this. I'm not ready  
for this. I'm not ready for this.

"Please just let me go."

Suddenly, I suppose it clicked for him. He places his hand on his mouth and takes a step back. I assume he isn't ready for this encounter either.

He lifts his hand slowly, "...Jade?"