I Used To Know Her Dad

I've only been in the impala once. Mom and Dad's work schedule collided, and Dean watched me for the day. We went to the park and got ice cream, my favorite memories of him are from that day.
~~~~~

"You weigh way too little, your spine isn't supposed to poke out like that when you hug someone."

He looks concerned, no one's been concerned for a really long time.

"I just, don't get hungry I guess."

"Unacceptable."

"I'm sorry."

"Do you have a place to go once you get to Nevada?"

I shake my head no, embarrassed.

"You don't have a plan?"

"Dean, I had to go right then. You don't understand." My voice is smaller than I hoped.

"You're coming with us until you are 18."

"I don't want you to get into trouble!"

"And I don't want you to die!!"

I flinch at his volume, and he sighs.

"I'm sorry, but I just got you back, and I'm sure as hell not leaving you on the street."

"I understand."

He begins to tell me about Sam, his brother. He used to mention him when he worked with Dad, how proud he was of him to be going to Harvard, despite leaving Dean. They hunt together now.

After a few minutes we pull up to his hotel, and he leads me up to his room.

He stops me at the door. "Stay out here for a minute, I'm going to talk to him first."

He walks inside, and I cannot help but hear through the thin walls.

"Listen, this girl, I used to know her dad... She got hurt, and she's here, and I want to make sure she's okay. Sam, she has no where to stay, and I really owe her."

I feel embarrassed as he walks out and invites me in. Sam is even taller than Dean, surprisingly. His hair is to his shoulders and he looks kind. He shakes my hand and smiles.

"Hi, I'm Sam. Your name is?"

It's impossible to not smile back

"Jade Carden."

He looks back at Dean. He knows the last name.

"Pleasure to meet you."

"She got cut. I think it's infected, and she refuses to go to a clinic."

Good, don't share the tragic theatrical backstory just yet.

This is probably the most awkward situation I have ever been in, and I've been in my fair share of awkward situations.

I lift up my shirt a tiny bit, to expose a large slash right above my belly button. It looks even worse than it did this morning.

"Oh shit." says Dean.

"That needs stitches. How long ago did it happen?"

"About two months ago."

"Okay, well, if you can't get stitches, we will have to just use butterfly stitches. It will take a lot longer to heal, though. You'll have to wrap it up. We will need to clean it too."

I nod my head. "Thank you."

"I'll go to the store I guess." Dean says and walks out of the door.

I feel extremely out of place, luckily Sam begins a conversation so I don't have to.

"So, you're Matthew Carden's daughter?"

I shake my head yes. "Dean was over a lot when I was little."

He nods, "He talks about your dad a lot."

I didn't know that.

"What brings you to Albuquerque?"

"I'm traveling." I say.

"You're eighteen?"

"No." I look down, I really didn't want to lie to him.

"It's okay, I did it too." He smiles at me and I smile back.

"It was a beer bottle." I just met him, and I'm tired of hiding the truth from people.

"Oh I could tell, I've dealt with a lot of beer bottle incidents."

He laughs dryly, and I begin to realize Sam's upbringing wasn't that far off from my own.