Chapter five - the moon.

I sat on the window seat in my new room and looked around; it was a lot more personal now that it had some stuff in it but I still wanted my old room back. I had finished my dinner and picked out a book to read as I watched the sun go down and the moon come up. "It's bright and heavy with the weight of a thousand thoughts " that was something Kaydenn had always said on a full moon, when all the weres' had shifted into their wolves and run wild. Then I realised, it was a full moon - I would be surrounded by an entire pack of savage beasts!

I gulped down the bile that had spilled into my throat and tried to calm myself down a bit.
So long as I lock the door and don't go out they can't hurt me.
I whispered it to myself over and over again like it was a mantra. I crossed the room and shut the door, fumbling with the lock and then closing the curtains.As soon as that was done I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and got into my new pyjamas. I curled up on the bed with my book, still wide awake. After a while I realised that I wasn't going to go to sleep anytime soon so I pulled out the diary I had secretly bought with me before Thomas had taken me away and grabbed the pen inside it.

I flipped through the pages, bits of what I'd written months before jumping out at me as I tried to find a clean page.
May 14th - There's this new boy in my class at school, his name is Jamie...
July 3rd - Now that I think about it Jamie really is quite cute...
September 15th - He's probably one of the nicest boys I've ever met...
September 17th - Today Mel said that I've got a crush on Jamie - of course I didn't tell her that she was right...

I smiled at the memories of what my life had been like once apon a time. It seemed like a life time ago that I went to school and had friends and didn't really believe that my mate was ever going to come for me. I even remembered with a smile how last friday Jamie had asked me to go to the end of year dance with him and I said yes. Now he would have to be told by my parents why I couldn't come with him anymore.I started scribbling down furiously in my diary everything that had happened since then but I had too stop halfway through because my hand hurt. I'd already covered more then two pages with my looped handwriting and I was no where near finished.

I started writing again and once I had finally written everything down I dropped the pen onto the floor, I couldn't be bothered to pick it back up again.

I lay in bed thinking about home for hours, not able to go to sleep. But at some point I must have drifted off because the next thing I knew there was a loud barking outside my room and a great thud as something hit the door hard. A few more thuds followed and pretty soon I could here splintering wood as well. I backed against the wall, not sure what to do until I spied the cupboard and climbed in. I closed the door behind me and tried to squeeze in comfortably in the claustrophobic space around me.

The thuds kept coming and the splintering sound got louder and louder until I heard the bedroom door completely break and several beasts come padding in. They growled loudly as if to mock me and sniffed around, almost immediately coming over to the closet I was hiding in.

I looked out at the beasts through a thin crack in between the door and the rest of the cupboard; I could see them perfectly, pacing up and down.
Unfortunately they could see me too.
They growled again, louder this time, because they had figured out a way of getting in. They pushed the door using the crack and it swung open to reveal three massive wolves circling around the closet. One was a dark blond colour while the other two where mud brown and grey like metal; they were all as tall as me except for the blond one who was even bigger than the others.