Bad, Meet Worse

Chapter Two – Bad, Meet Worse

            Lucas took hold of my arm again as he began dragging me towards the warehouse from where we had parked in the back. "How you hanging in there, sugar?" he asked, glancing down at me.

            "I've come up with fifteen ways to kill you already," I quipped, forcing my voice to come out as sugary sweet as possible.

            Brandon and the quiet one erupted into laughter as Lucas shoved through the door to the warehouse. "We're home!" he yelled, hurting my ears in the process.

            "Make that sixteen," I mumbled, causing the other two to go into another laughing fit. I really didn't think what I was saying was all that funny.

            "Vince!" Lucas called, towing me past the curious stares of the other men scattered around the open room.

            "Back here," came a deep voice from what seemed to be an office space in the far corner of the building.

            Lucas's grip on my arm turned to iron as his face hardened. "Do you have to act all macho in front of the boss man?" I questioned, wincing when he squeezed my arm even tighter.

            "Try not to be as snippy with him as you've been with us," he said, pushing the door of the office open before dragging me inside with him. "He's not as nice."

            "Nice?" I asked, crossing my arms indignantly over my chest once he released me. "Your friend just stole close to three hundred dollars off me."

            "And who do we have here?" the same voice from earlier asked, causing me to pivot to face him.

            Forest green eyes stared back at me. My eyes flickered over his face, taking in his strong jawline covered in stubble and dark, spiked hair faster than I thought possible. "None of your business," I spat before I could help myself. The minute the words were out of my mouth I winced. I really needed to gain a filter.

            He arched one dark eyebrow at me as he stood from behind the desk. The fact that he towered over my measly 5'2 frame was evident even though at least five feet of space separated us. So when he did cross to stand directly in front of me, I had to crane my neck back to meet his gaze even with the help of my four inch heels. "Are you sure about that?" he murmured, and even though his voice was soft there was a dark undertone to it that sent a shiver skittering down my spine.

            "Yes," I replied, never moving my gaze from his,

            "This is Juliette," Lucas said, causing me to whip around to him. "She saw us attack Roberts."

            "Did she now?" the one that could only be Vincent asked.

            "Thanks a lot, Lucas," I growled, narrowing my eyes into angry slits.

            He held up his hands in a gesture of surrender. "Don't come up with a seventeenth way to kill me," he teased with a wink.

            "I'm working on an eighteenth." I stated.

            "Juliette, huh?" Vincent questioned, requiring my attention as I faced him.

            "That's right," I said, pulling at the collar of my jacket as heat started to seep into my skin. My eyes grazed over the black t-shirt that Vince was wearing. It couldn't cover the tattoo that snaked down his arm, nor the one that was poking out from the V-neck collar. Something in my gut told me that he was someone that I should be afraid of. Very afraid of. But when I raised my gaze back to his green eyes, I just felt irritated. I wanted to go home. "So can I go now?" I asked, gesturing towards the door.