The Blonde Stalker

Chapter Three – The Blonde Stalker

            "Good lord, Dex," I whined the next morning when I woke up. "You weigh so much." He made a snuffling sound in response before flailing around and getting to his feet. Once he was off the bed, I stretched and got up as well. The slight whining echoing through the apartment let me know he was ready to go out for his walk. "Hold your horses, babe," I muttered, erecting myself into a standing position before searching through the clothes that littered my floor for a pair of pants.

            After locating a pair of jean shorts, I shimmied into them and slightly tucked my shirt into the waistband. Better to look like I was dressed like a bum on purpose rather than I had literally just rolled out of bed and left. Which was exactly what I was doing, but why be technical?

            Pulling on a pair of socks along with my beat up converse, I made my way into the bathroom. Dexter was patiently waiting by the door with his leash in his mouth as usual, but I just shook my head at him. Once inside the bathroom I hurriedly brushed my teeth before grabbing a ponytail holder and throwing my hair up into a messy bun. Sighing at my reflection, I wiped away the eyeliner that was smudged under my brown eyes from sleep as I crossed over to Dexter. His nub of a tail wagged excitedly when I clipped his leash onto his collar. "Ready to go?" I asked, smiling when he instantly rose to his feet.

            Taking his leash in my hand, I grabbed my purse from the couch. After locating my phone and shoving it in my back pocket, I tossed the bag back to its previous place and picked up my keys from the table behind the door. "Let's go, babe," I told him and his whole butt started to wag as I opened the door.

            After locking the door behind me, we made our way out into the blaring sunlight. One thing I had learned since having Dexter, was that not a lot of people wanted to mess with the girl with the Rottweiler. It was nice. Few people were out around this area this early in the day, so the walk towards the small city park was peaceful.

            My phone started to vibrate in my pocket, and when I pulled it out Devyn's face was smiling back at me. Shaking my head, I let Dexter lead me as I answered her call. "Good morning, sunshine!" I chirped.

            "So what happened last night that you couldn't text me back?" she questioned, and I could just imagine the way her pierced eyebrow would raise.

            "Nothing," I said. "My phone was just still on vibrate."

            "Sure," she snapped. "Now talk to me."

            "You're not my mother, Dev," I muttered, stopping as Dexter began to sniff along the mouth of an alley. "No, no, Dex," I said, gently tugging on his leash.

            "Where are you two?" Devyn asked, and I could hear the jingling of her keys in the background.

            "Devyn," I whined, knowing that she would come whether I wanted her to or not.

            "Don't sass me, bitch," she said. "You're going to the park right?"

            "Right."

            "Meet you there." And she hung up without as much as a goodbye.

            "Well, let's hurry up, Dex," I said, tugging on his leash.

            "You know it's not safe for a pretty thing like you to be walking the streets, sugar," a familiar voice called.

            A loud groan escaped me as I turned around to face the blonde who was hanging out the window of a black SUV. "Are you stalking me now?" I questioned, a teasing edge to my voice as I reigned Dexter in closer to me.