The Mystery of Moody Jules

Chapter Eleven – The Mystery of Moody Jules

"Get out," I growled, glaring at Lucas.

"No," he refused, shaking his head. He was being petulant. Somehow, the night before I had managed to make my way to bed around one in the morning. However, when I had gone to bed Arkin, Lucas, and Brandon were still there – Vincent had left not too long after separating the little spat over the pizza. The boys were absorbed into some documentary on the history channel, and I had decided to let them stay and watch it as long as they promised to lock the door behind them when they left. So, when I woke up that morning to find Lucas sprawled out across my couch it was safe to say I was less than pleased.

"You were supposed to leave last night," I reminded him, running a hand through my hair. I was vaguely aware of the fact that my over-sized t-shirt rode up when I lifted my arms, showing off my black underwear, but I couldn't bring myself to care.

"And miss this?" he asked, his eyes zeroing in on the flash of abdomen he got to see before I dropped my arms. I picked up the closest thing to me on the coffee table – the remote – and chucked it at his head. He grinned from behind the pillow he used to block my assault. "Not a chance, sugar."

"I'll call Vinnie," I threatened, narrowing my eyes at him.

"You wouldn't," he scoffed, but I could see the trepidation in his gaze.

"Try me."

And try me he did. He flopped back down onto the couch, whistling for Dexter to jump up with him. The dog didn't even hesitate. He jumped right into Lucas's lap and snuggled into him, loving the attention. Feeling betrayed, I marched back into my room and scooped my phone up off the nightstand. Biting my lip, I scrolled through my text messages until I found the one Vincent had sent me the very first night we had met. Did I really want to open this can of worms? Would it get Lucas into trouble? Probably not, but I was hoping Vincent would make him leave. I knew that if I really wanted to, I could beg Lucas until he listened. Right now he was just trying to push my buttons. However, I also wanted to see his face when he realized Vincent was on his way.

A smile was on my face after I hit the call button and waltzed back out into the living room. Leaning one shoulder against the doorframe separating the living room from the hall, I gave Lucas an evil grin as I placed the phone against my ear.

Ring, ring, ring.

"Vincent," was his curt greeting. His voice sounded rough and I wondered if I had woken him up.

"Good morning, Vinnie!" I chirped. Lucas's head whipped up, and for a moment he looked shocked.

"Princess?" the confusion in Vincent's voice was amusing. "Is something wrong?"

"Yes," I said, slightly put off by the fact that he sounded concerned. "Lucas won't leave my apartment."

A heavy sigh sounded down the line. "Give him the phone."

Lucas vehemently shook his head as I sauntered over to him. He stared at the phone in my hand when I offered it to him. "It's for you," I teased, waving the device in front of his face.

"Hello?" he muttered after taking it from me. A myriad of emotions played across Lucas's face as he listened to Vincent. Finally Lucas muttered something incoherent and then mashed the end call button before tossing me my phone. I barely caught it.