Silent Cries

I woke up with the fear of getting beaten again but something strange made me stop. The hues of blue and white on the wall, a vase with flowers in it and a tray of food on the desk beside the bed, it is definitely not my room. Am I in a hospital? But there are no medical doctors roaming. I went straight to the door, holding the knob, a pain jolted from my arm, I ran my hand through the bruised arm. Pain, fear, and anger rose from several emotions inside me. A memory of cruel scenes went flashing back, a man with eyes full of rage voicing out words of profanities to an innocent girl who got beaten every time she went against the mad man’s will. The man she knew since her childhood, the man she grew up with, the man she thought was there to protect her, and the man people say a good person is her father. And the girl, the girl who got beaten and the girl cursed to live with a demon, that girl is me. I am Erin, nineteen years old, my mother died when I was born and that day was the start of all the savageness. There must have been something horrible that I’ve done during my past existence that I’ve been punished to live this kind of life in the present. I wish I could just be numb, if only I could change a thing, forget everything in a single second and stop breathing to get away with all the pain I’m feeling. How I wish everything was just a dream and one day, I’ll woke up with a good environment, no beating, no emotional depression and no physical pain. How I wish living is as easy as breathing, no, even breathing is difficult for someone raised in a home where an evil resides. I was driven away from my thought by a single cold tear running down my cheek. I gathered up all my strength and forced myself to open the door despite the pain of my swelling bruised arm and the fear of what waits outside this strange room.

“So I see, you are awake young lady.” A British guy caught my attention. He was on his back staring at the view, I went silent for a moment, the sound of the splashing water on the seashore triumphed. Then it hit me, we are on a beach but how did I end up here? All I could remember was my father hitting me with a baseball bat. Part of me is afraid of what might happen next but part of me wanted to jump and rejoice to the fact that I am away from the place which seems to be hell’s recreation. The guy turned to face me, his kind blue eyes stared at me for a moment before uttering another word, “I can sense pain and fear from you lady, worry not anymore, you are free, and you’ve been rescued. I am Chris by the way.” Then he turned his back again. His words kept echoing on my mind, you are free, and you’ve been rescued… a sob escaped my dried throat, the thought of being free made my trembling body stop from shaking. Tears continue to flow brought by unexplained happiness.

“Thank you.” I managed to utter two words which seem to be so important. He faced me and smiled. I smiled back and that is for the first time by my reckoning. I seized the warmth of the sun’s morning rays and the soft blow of the wind that caressed my long black hair. The pleasing view of the ocean’s wave calmed my body and made the memories of cruelty fade for a moment.