Evaluation

The bay airlock opened a small processing area, guarded by purposeful Sidhe in appeared to be armor of some sort.  Much closer to actually fitting the body it protected, unlike UDF armor, the armor refused to yield any details when Vaughn focused on it, the metallic surface shifting uneasily under her eyes.  There was no question about the heavy weapons the four guards carried however, rifle-like in appearance and held at the guard as the guards gave each member of their welcoming committee a quick once over before a wiry Sidhe, of the same race as Deks, stepped to what appeared like a computer terminal.

     The Sidhe reached out and with a series of quick gestures, summoned a holographic three-dimensional display that a heartbeat later came alive with several streams of data and imagery.  When a hand’s outline appeared on the display, the alien reached up and placed his own right hand against it before speaking a tight series of words in the Sidhe tongue.

     Apparently it was some sort of unlocking code because, as soon as the last syllable left his mouth, the display radically changed, shifting around to show entirely new data and images, including a brief, three-dimensional representation of the alien himself.  Satisfied with his access, he turned to Deks and nodded.

  “Okay.”  Deks rasped, waving Vaughn forward.  “First things first.  In order to get you past these four guards and the various security measures and protocols protecting the entrance, we need to grant you security clearance and access.  To do that, we need to build you a profile, including a BGP scan, physiological parameters and voice identification.  Our primary security protocols demand all profile elements be satisfied before clearance into any of our facilities is granted.”

     The swarthy Sidhe paused to speak for a brief moment to the alien standing in front of the terminal and its holographic display before turning back to Vaughn.

  “Estin is granting you Level 1 clearance on my authority, based on the security clearance we obtained from your file on Ikaris 7.”

  “You hacked into our military database on Ikaris?”  Vaughn asked, eyebrow raised.  From what she learned from Cienisar about the Pax, she wasn’t all that surprised the Isivir would do such a thing.  If she had their power and technology, most likely she would’ve done the same.

     Deks nodded in curt confirmation, making no effort to explain further.

  “With security clearance in place, we now need to make a scan of your genetic structure, coding your nizuhr for later retrieval.”

  “Nizuhr?”  Vaughn frowned.

  “I’m not sure if there’s a translation for it.  That’s our name for the complex molecule that dictates genetic structure.’

  “Ah.  We call it DNA, Deoxyribonucleic Acid.”

  “Okay.”  Deks grinned.  “DNA it is, then.  We make a map of your DNA and run a comparison every time you request access to Isivir-related data, devices and locations, along with your physiological profile, voice identification, on and on.”

  “Detailed.  But doesn’t it take a long time to enter in that data every time an operative wants to access something?”

     Deks shook his head.

  “The ID terminal has a number of built-in scan devices that sample your DNA, measure physiological responses, that sort of thing, while you’re making your voice print match.  Access is as quick as Estin demonstrated a moment ago.”

  “Step forward, please.”  The Sidhe Deks named Estin asked, pointing to a spot on the light gray floor a pace from where he stood by the terminal.  The floor was spun from the same material as that Vaughn found on the Indurin, strangely giving for comfort and durable beyond measure at the same time.