Inner Workings

A frown on his face, the handsome, graying Sidhe let the filmy gallery doors slowly iris closed behind him, the roar of the gallery itself easing until it was buried behind the deceptively fragile-appearing portals.

  “Again the debate turns to corruption within Pax government bodies and institutions.”  His companion, a wiry Sidhe garbed in the same heavy slate gray, indigo and crimson robes the first man wore, rasped as he ran slender fingers through thick, close-shorn hair.  A massive signet ring was the only jewelry he wore, a beautiful gold and platinum crest with griffon in rampart, floating through the dark brown locks as he continued his frustrated gesture.

  “As if we haven’t heard enough of such things.”

  “Fret not, Orsin.”  The first man finally spoke, a soft, melodious rhythm that both soothed and demanded.  “Today’s uproar won’t be the last.  The Praetors will see to it.”  He turned golden brown eyes that danced in the subtle lighting of the corridor to his companion.

  “But let us not speak of rebellion and corruption.  What news of our Isivir initiative?”

     Orsin reached into his robes to draw out a small disk no larger than a coin.  Gentle pressure on its closer surface sent a line of blue light from the top of the disk, racing around to the bottom.  A flicker later the line was painting several holographic pages to the disk’s right, softly glowing planes that detailed information the disk was holding in its miniature database with scrolling script and interactive images.

     With the disk sitting in the left hand center of the top page, serving as a holder of sorts, Orsin quickly scanned the data crowding onto the page’s surface.

  “Looks like Colonel Vaughn is currently in evaluation on Viper Island.  While she has more than half the sequence to complete, preliminary results are excellent.  Her insertion into the Isivir should be flawless.”

  “And Doctor Finn?”

     Orsin frowned, a sliding motion with his thumb across the disk’s surface summoning the next page, also packed with information and imagery.

  “Lost to a Viseith assassin on the Indurin.”

     Instead of being surprised by the revelation, the first man merely nodded, as if expecting such news.  He thoughtfully pursed his lips.  Report after report was appearing on his desk about the Praetors’ ever building audacity.  This most recent attack by their covert arm only served to underscore the boldness at which the rebels were taking their fight to the Pax and her governing council.  It was getting more and more difficult to hide the Praetors and their activities from the elected representatives of the people of the Pax in the Assembly with such attacks growing in frequency.

  “And who does Isivir Command have in place heading up their search team?”

     Orsin scrolled through several screens of text and data before answering.

  “Deks Rountree.”  He reported before looking up.  “I thought a request was initiated against Rountree being involved.”

     Hands behind his back, the first man nodded.

  “That was the intent.”  He confirmed.  “The council felt Rountree was too well known to be involved in the search.  It’s no secret he’s an Isivir operative.  But there’s also no denying the man’s loyalties.  He’s Pax.  That much Isivir Command could guarantee in the various discussions the Covert Operations Committee had with Director sev’Arbrantus.  With such uncertainty within their own ranks, they had to go with reliable assets to see the job done the way the Pax would see it done.”  His eyes narrowed slightly in consideration.   “I’ll suggest to both the COO and the council we leave him in place.  For now.”