Prologue: 1000 Years Ago

The carriage bumped along, carrying six happily chatting girls and one miserable driver. It was no wonder that his mood was like this; it had been raining for over an hour now; since about five minutes after the girls reboarded the carriage.

They had been on a mission delivered straight from the High King of Rashiviio, and he was their transportation. When they climbed in the carriage, as if by magic, it began pouring.

He sighed and decided to take a nap. The horses knew their way back to Ranseed Palace. He could only sleep for a few minutes, but he couldn't stay awake, either; his eyes were drooping down.

________

He woke to startled whinnying. He noticed with dismay that it was no longer raining. He must've slept longer than he wanted to.

One of the horses whinnied again, snapping him out of his thoughts. He wasn't worried; they spooked at everything. A rabbit had probably ran across their path. He opened his eyes, preparing to calm the horses down.

And immediately let out the scream of a five-year-old girl.

Standing in front of him was a 10 foot tall A-Class Scorpion Type Demon.

"Mr. Driver? Are you alright?" Came a concerned voice from the carriage.

"Hello." The Demon said as if it were trying to appear amiable. However, evil leaked through its voice, and its true intentions were crystal clear to the driver.

They were in a clearing in the woods. He recognized this part of the woods; it was about a mile away from the bridge over the Great Divide, which separated the town where the High King's palace stood and the Kingdom of Earth, from which all Earth Mages hailed.

"Mr. Driver?" Came another voice. They had probably sensed the Demon's presence, and were trying to make sure he was alright.

He finally found his voice. "HELP!" He screamed. "PLEASE HELP ME!"

The Demon pouted. At least, that's what it looked like to the driver. It was really just a giant black blob in the shape of a scorpion.

"Here I was gonna tell you why I didn't kill you while you slept. You still wanna know?" It asked.

Inside the carriage, there was rustling. Probably the girls grabbing their swords and usual fighting staffs.

The driver could only stare at the Demon with an almost comically scared face and skin paler than that of a ghost. It was all he could do not to pee his pants.

The Demon cocked his head. "If you don't answer, I'm gonna kill you." He said impatiently.

Then came a series of knocks on the wood behind him. He recognized it as Hemres Code, a phonetic code invented thousands of years ago that most humans still knew and used. He realized they were relying on him being one of the many who did.

Keep him distracted. They said. We've got a plan.

The driver's first thought was how am I supposed to do that?!

Then he kept thinking. These girls stare death in the face on an almost daily basis. If they can do that, I can distract it, right? It can't be that hard. I mean, this one seems to like talking.

He looked up at the Demon and said, "Sure. Why didn't you kill me?"

The Demon seemed to smile. "Well, first of all, may I say that you look adorable when you're sleeping?! And second of all-" here, the Demon's smile became malicious- "I never make my kill while their eyes are closed. If I do that, I can't watch the light leave their eyes! And that's the best part about killing." He looked at the driver. "Speaking of which-" he poised his tail to kill the driver-