Chapter 9: The Dream

Aria woke up, blinking in the harsh sunlight. She sat up, looking around. She was a bit confused; this wasn't where she'd gone to sleep, was it?

All around her, plains with grass as green as emerald rose in fell in gentle hills. The sky went on endlessly, blue as aquamarine. The clouds, high as they were, as much as they stretched, couldn't even come close to touching the sky.

"What are you doing here, Aria?" Said a familiar voice behind her.

Startled, Aria turned around. A spotlight was created by the one morning sun that had risen thus far. Standing in it was a woman that hasn't been there just a minute ago, facing away from Aria.

She was standing in a loose white Grecian style dress. It fluttered in the breeze as if mimicking the wind itself. Her pearl white hair was swept up by the breeze as well.

Aria recognized her immediately. "Mom!" Leaping up, she dashed toward the woman, who turned around to catch Aria in her arms and return her embrace.

"What do you mean, what am I doing here?! What are you doing here?!" Aria sobbed, burying her face into the crook of her mother's neck.

She simply stroked Aria's hair in a soothing way, smiling sadly. "Delivering a message."

Aria looked up, confused. "What?"

The woman smiled at her daughter, tucking her hair behind her ear in a very maternal way. "My dear, you're dreaming. I meant, what are you doing in the middle of this forest, in the waking world?"

Aria looked back down at the grass, ripping it out in handfuls. Whatever grass she ripped up immediately grew back.

"I'm weak, mom." Aria stated shakily. Tears pooled in her eyes. "I... I can't fight. I get so scared every time I see a Demon. And I smile and pretend everything is alright, but... all I can do is run." As she spoke, Aria ripped grass faster and faster. It filled the breeze, swirling through the air.

Suddenly, Aria felt a hand on her shoulder. She looked up.

Her mother's face was only inches from hers, smiling softly. "No, Aria." She said firmly. "You are strong, so strong. Even if all you can do is smile, that takes a great deal of courage. If your enemies think you're not afraid, they will become afraid."

Aria shook her head, tears falling freely down her face. "I'm not brave, mom. How can I be brave if I'm scared? How can I make my enemies think I'm even close to unafraid when I'm shaking in my boots?"

Aria's mother simply embraced her. "Courage is not the lack of fear, my dear. No, that is foolishness. Fear keeps you alive." Her mother separated and held Aria at arm's length, cupping her face and appraising her proudly. "Courage is acting despite your fear.

"It would be easy to turn yourself into the Demons. But you're not. You're running. And that itself takes so much courage. And when that Demon came after you in Bunshah, you didn't just let yourself die, you blew up a wall and tricked him. Once again, that took an amazing amount of courage.

"So, yes, Aria, you're very brave. Never forget that."

Aria smiled, her tears drying up. "Thanks mom. I... I feel a lot better now. I feel like... like I can fight."

Her mother kissed her forehead. "You can."

"I love you, mom."

"I love you, too."

Aria's mother looked at the horizon. Roodae, the second sun, had completely cleared it, and Rhysha, the third sun, was halfway above it.

"I only have a little time left, Aria." She said. "Listen carefully."

Aria nodded solemnly.

"Beware the Larkroni region. You will need to go there, but be very careful.

"Travel first to the city of Bruskin in the Kingdom of Darkness; it is closer. Remember this number: one- one- three- eight. That is all I can say for now."

"Wait, what?!"

"Goodbye for now, Aria." And with that, Aria's mother and the world around her began to fade."

"Mom, wait! I have so many questions!"

But despite her protests, the world faded to black.

Aria opened her eyes to see a curios Lyla peering at her. "What questions?"

Aria blinked a couple times, rubbing her face groggily. "Long story."

Lyla scooted back so Aria could get up. "We'll be traveling together for only the gods know how long. We've got time."

Chuckling, Aria got up. "Yeah, I guess you're right." She stretched her arms and yawned. She went to reach for her bag, only to realize it wasn't there.

"Yeah," Lyla said sadly. "I did that earlier, too. We left our bags in the Old Goddess Hotel, back in Bunshah."

Aria sighed. "Oh well. At least I kept the map in my pocket. And I ripped out a couple pages from the book about finding food in the wild, just in case."

Lyla let out a sigh as well, although hers had a tone of relief. "Thank you, Aria. Now, about those questions."

Aria smiled, scrunching up her brow. "Ah, where should I begin...."

Aria proceeded to tell Lyla about her strange dream, including the vivid scenery that stuck boldly in her mind.

After Aria finished her tale, Lyla just blinked.

"Wow." She finally said. "Yeah, that seems like a great idea. Let's travel headlong into Demon territory."

Aria just nodded. "I know, but... we don't exactly have a plan otherwise." She picked up a stick and poked at the dying fire. "And what if that Demon was right? What if we're the reincarnation of the Circle? We should at least try-"

"Yes, we do have a plan. Run. Stay alive. That is the plan." Lyla interjected indignantly.

"Yeah, but,... is that really living? That's just surviving. And what about the entire population of Rashiviio?"

"What about them? What matters to me is the two of us staying alive."

Aria looked Lyla dead in the eye. "Noblesse oblige."

"What?"

"It's something my dad taught me once. Noblesse oblige. It means that if you have the power to stop an evil, and you don't even try, that's as bad as committing the evil yourself."

Lyla returned Aria's determined stare with a dumbfounded one. Finally, she released the breath she'd been holding. "Godsdammit, I never could win an argument against you." She flopped down on the ground. "Fine. We'll go Bruskin. We'll try to find the other four. But if we die, it's all your fault."

"Thank you!!" Aria squealed, tackling Lyla with a hug.

"Alright, alright, you're welcome, now get off me!" Lyla all but shoved Aria off of her. "First we scrounge up some food, then we can leave."

Aria smiled and nodded. "Got it!"

Hi guys! I know it's been a while, and I won't give any excuses, I've just been incredibly unmotivated =/

Anyway, my new motivation issssss....

The Wattys 2017!

Wish me luck!

*Ahem*

Anywho, sorry it's short and not very actiony. But this is an important turning point for Aria and Lyla. Also, I really liked the interaction between Aria and her mother.

Stay tuned, the next chapter is coming soon!