Chapter Three: The Test- Part One

Two days after the incedent with the lamp, Aria was packing a bag similar a hiking backpack. She shoved her long white cloak, spare clothes, food, and other necessaties inside.

The Demons mockingly allowed the humans to pack themselves a bag to take to the Test. The humans figured that if they did have magic, they might be able to escape and use what was in the bag to survive. The Demons figured that if a human had magic, they'd kill them in the spot, and take the pack's contents for themself.

Aria bit her lip and made a last minute decision. She grabbed an older cloak and some more clothes from her drawers and packed them for Lyla. If Aria had magic and Lyla didn't, she'd have an extra cloak and more clothes, which couldn't hurt.

Aria and Lyla had agreed to meet at the tree they always met in, magic or no. If one had magic and the other didn't, the one without would give the one with magic the things they'd packed. Of course, they were both hoping that neither would have magic.

Aria attached her new sleeping bag to her backpack. Her parents had scraped together the money to get it in addition to the books tucked away safely at the bottom of her bag. Hoisting it onto her back, she took one more wistful look around her room, trying not to think of how it might be her last.

She sighed and went downstairs. Breakfast had been hours ago. Even lunch had passed. Now, it was time to go to City Hall for the tests.

As soon as she reached the bottom of the stairs, Omnis and Potis practically attacked her in a flurry of hugs and snot and tears.

"Don't go, Aria!" Omnis sobbed into the uniform all 16 year olds had to wear to the test.

"We don't want you to die!" Potis tearfully agreed. The twins had been a mess since they found out the punishment for having magic.

Aria's mother came into the room and gently pulled Omnis and Potis off of Aria. Her mother hugged Aria, silent streams of tears running down both their faces.

"You make sure you come back, whether or not you have magic." Aria's mother tried to say this in a stern tone, but barely managed to do so without her voice breaking in a sob.

Aria nodded and walked with her mother and brothers to the door. Her father waited there, a bag in his hand. As she approached him, he held out the bag. "More food." He said simply.

Aria hugged him without taking the bag. Her father tried to remain stoic, but a quiver in his beard gave away the tears he barely held back.

"I love you, papa." She said tearfully. And that was all he could take. The tears spilled over his eyes and he held her tighter.

"I love you more, I'm sure." Her father responded, his voice cracking. He released her and she accepted the food.

She hugged her mother again. "I love you, too, mama." She said.

"I love you, too, Aria." She responded. They only separated when the first bell rung five minutes later, signaling all 16 year olds had to be in City Hall in ten minutes.

She knelt down and gathered Omnis and Potis in her arms. "And I love you two, too." She whispered.

Omnis whispered something in her ear, and she gave him a strange look before rising.

Aria met everyone's eyes and tried not to start crying again. "Goodbye, everyone."

Everyone gave her a teary goodbye. Just in case she did have magic. Just in case she could never come back. Aria then turned and exited the house.

City Hall was the biggest building in town, which wasn't saying much. It only had two floors, and wasn't much bigger than a large house. It had been built specifically for The Test.