8 - Marinette

When Marinette woke from her dream, she sat up, breathing heavily. Despite the cold weather, she was sweating and suddenly found the room stuffy and hot. She pushed the window open all the way and noted the time. It was only 9.00, extremely early for Marinette's typical 12.00 bed time. Yet she still found herself tired.

Too shaken to fall asleep again, Marinette walked to her bathroom and splashed her face with cold water. She also brushed her hair, something she found oddly comforting. Beginning to feel tired, Marinette left her hair loose. 

When she exited her bathroom, Marinette froze. There was a dark silhouette against her window. The curtains cascaded around the figure, and Marinette stepped backwards, floor creaking. The figure lifted it's head. "No..." She breathed, too quiet to hear, disbelieving.

The figure was the right height, same disheveled hair, cat ears sticking up, alert. His back was to her and he turned around to say hello when Marinette barreled into him, knocking the two of them out of the window.

Marinette held on tightly to Chat's neck, crying. "Chat Noir!" She exclaimed.

Chat pushed off from the ground with his baton, landing the two on Marinette's roof. "Hi, Marin-" Marinette sealed his lips with a kiss.

She slung both arms around his neck, one travelling up into his hair. Chat's hands settled on Marinette's waist. "Aren't you going to ask how?" Chat asked when they parted, a minute or two later.

Marinette put her head onto Chat's chest. "No. I don't care. It doesn't matter. You're back." she breathed into his front.

"I missed you." Chat sighed into Marinette's hair.

"No, I missed you more." She protested.

"If you call building a shrine not missing you more, then you're right." Chat smiled.

Marinette laughed. It filled her entire chest, effortlessly escaping into the world. "Come, Mari."

"I missed that, too." Marinette said, referring to the name, as Chat lifted her bridal style.

He jumped from building to building, and Marinette had to guess where they were going until she saw the lights. The Eiffel tower, decked out in beautifully colored lights. Marinette, now aware of her destination, stared up at Chat.

He glanced down at her, smiling. "What?"

"I can't believe you're real." Marinette said as they came to a stop, hundreds of feet above the ground.

"Mari, I'm sorry about what happened, I should have contacted you in my civilian form or something-"

"It doesn't matter. You're here now. Besides, I don't need to know who you are in real life." Marinette shushed Chat, leaning into him.

Chat sat down, pulling Marinette with him. She climbed into his lap, resting her head on his shoulder. The two were silent. They didn't need to talk. They breathed in each other's presence, comforted with the feel of the others' warmth. "Marinette." Chat sighed, minutes later.

Marinette held on tighter to Chat. She nodded. "I missed you." Chat repeated.

"Chat Noir, I missed you more." Marinette smiled.

"I built a shrine." Chat reminded Marinette.

She laughed. They were silent again. Chat played with Marinette's hair, twisting it around his fingers, running his hands through it. "I forgot to tell you, I like your hair down." He remarked.

"Psh, I was too lazy to put it up." She said.

"Makes you look more.... wild." Chat winked, Marinette smacking him playfully on the chest.