13 - Adrien

As Marinette stood shuddering in Chat's embrace, she let out a single sob. It was a gasp of sadness and she clutched Chat's suit in her fists. "Marinette, you don't need to know. It's okay." Chat stroked her hair.

"But I do! I do need to!" Marinette cried.

"Marinette, it doesn't matter." They weren't just talking about Marinette not knowing what was wrong.

"It does! It does, Chat. And..." Marinette paused.

"Yes?" Chat murmured softly.

"I'm scared." Marinette whispered, pulling tighter to Chat

"What's there to be afraid of?" Chat reassured Marinette.

"You. Who are you? What's your life like? What if I don't know you?" Marinette asked.

"Mari, I assure you, with all my heart, this is me. The other me is too pretend. Too nice, too polite. Don't you see? I've been me this entire time." Chat stepped back, craning his neck to look at Marinette.

Marinette took a deep breath, wiping her nose on her sleeve. "Okay." Marinette nodded.

"You want to know?" Chat asked.

"Y-yes. No... Do you want to tell me?"

"Of course I do!" Chat said, lifting Marinette by the waist.

She supported herself with her hands firmly on Chat's shoulders. "Let's go back to my place." Marinette decided, picking up her sleeping Kwami.

Tikki had managed to curl up on a rung of the monument. "Tikki?" Tikki's eyes fluttered open and she smiled sleepily. "Spots On!" Marinette yelled happily, the Kwami's eyes widening in surprise.

Chat watched in awe as Marinette turned into Ladybug. His Miraculous began to then beep furiously. "Ladybug, I'm going to change ba-!" Adrien emerged as Ladybug did.

"I'm sorry!" Ladybug yelled, flipping off the tower.

"Ladybug!" Adrien yelled, frustrated.

But Ladybug was already gone. So then, waiting until late that night, Plagg finally felt energized enough to take Adrien home. Adrien collapsed in his bed, sighing. Did she see me? Did she freak out and leave? Does she know? If she does, what happens then? Adrien wondered, falling asleep.

--[-]--

The next day, Adrien stared groggily at the board, trying to process what the teacher, whoever she was, droned on. He heard Marinette sigh several times throughout the class, but he didn't think it was just the lesson. 

Did she figure it out? Adrien wondered. "Adrien!" The teacher quipped, snapping her fingers.

"Huh?" He asked.

"Have you heard a word I've said?" She asked, eyes narrowing.

"Erm..." Adrien's lips formed a line.

"Anyone?" The teacher's eyes searched the students.

Adrien turned, surprised to find Marinette raise her arm delicately. "The poems are not about what happens. You were asking what they were about, and my answer it, it's about what they make you feel." Marinette responded.

Imbecilic as it may have seemed, Adrien was caught, mesmerized by the way Marinette softly lifted her chin, hair swaying slightly in the wind from the open window. Her cyan eyes framed by thick eyelashes that should have tangled together every time she blinked her eyes. And the slight purse to her lips as she finished speaking, corners of her lips turning slightly up. Her air of confidence filled the room, convincing everyone she was right. "Did you hear that, Mr. Agreste?" The teacher turned back to Adrien.

"Yes." Adrien didn't turn back around for a second before regaining his composure.

The bell signalling the end of the day went off and students hurried to shove papers into their bags, chatter erupting. "Don't forget to work on your poetry worksheets!" The teach called over the din.

"Marinette!" Adrien said, watching her shoulders tense.

"You go ahead, I'll catch up, Alya." Marinette said, shooing her friend away.

"I'm sorry, I have to go." Marinette avoided Adrien's eyes, filing out of the room.

"Marinette, wait!" Adrien rushed after her, touching her shoulder.

Marinette jolted away like it hurt. "No, Adrien, I don't want to go out with you." She said, sucking in shallow breaths.

"Marinette, did you see?" Adrien asked.

"See what? I don't know what you're talking about." Marinette laughed nervously, picking up her pace.

"You did, didn't you?" Adrien asked.

"Ha! No! What do you mean?" Marinette threw her head back, laughing awkwardly.

"Marinette!" Adrien said seriously.

Marinette stopped walking and turned around to face Adrien. "Of course I saw." She whispered, eyes narrowed.

"I- I'm sorry, Marinette, it was an accident!" Adrien insisted.

"I know, Adrien. Goodbye." Marinette rushed across the street, narrowly escaping Adrien.

"Marinette!" He called.

--[-Marinette-]--

Marinette ran home, splashing through puddles. With a hurried greeting to her parents, Marinette ran up the steps to her room. She fell on her bed, tearing at her hair. Her eyes were wide as she breathed heavily. She was on her knees, bent over, back rising and falling in rapid succession. Her head hit the bed and she could feel tears form in her eyes. What's going on?! She screamed in her mind.

Marinette didn't know how long she stayed like that, but it was long enough for the sky to grow dark and for Tikki to give up on helping. Tap, tap. Marinette jolted upright to hear the familiar tapping. She was about to rush to the window when she remembered that Chat Noir was Adrien. Her body shook as she approached the dark window. All she could see was his shape, blocking out the lights from the city. And his eyes. Oh, his eyes! The beautiful electric green pierced through Marinette's dark room and into her soul. The green that Marinette trusted. The green that Marinette feared. The green that Marinette needed. 

Although it was dark out and probably cold for the biting December-end cold, Marinette refused to open the window. She shook her head and she could see the green orbs squint in confusion. Marinette unlatched the window an cold wind rushed into the room. "Marinette." Chat said.

"I need to be alone." Marinette said, placing her hands on Chat's chest and pushing.

The cat fell backwards, of course catching himself. "I'll wait." Chat said, after Marinette had shut the window.

But the words still managed to escape into her heart.