Chapter 3

Chapter 3

"Ow…" Andrew moaned as he sat up in bed. "You kicked and clobbered me in your sleep last night, woman."

"Really?" Margaret replied, flabbergasted. She thought she was a better sleeper than that.

"You got me in the shins and elbowed me a lot," Andrew replied, flustered and amused.

Margaret was quick to massage her husband's limbs. "I'm sorry. I told you I'm used to being alone."

He laughed and shook his head. "Next time, before you go to sleep, please remind yourself that I'm lying beside you."

"I'll try," she said as she slid off the bed.

"Where are you going?" he called after her.

"Bathroom. Don't wanna be too late for breakfast with my new in-laws," she said as she fluffed her hair.

"Wait!" he yelled as he jumped out of bed.

She looked at him funny. "What? What?" She wondered if she forgot something.

He grabbed her and gave her a big squeeze.

"Now can I put my hand on your booty?"

She smirked. "Next, you're gonna want to shower with me, aren't you?"

"Now that you mentioned it, that's not a bad idea."

"How much of me did you see when we slammed into each other naked?"

"Not enough," he said with upturned lips. His boyish grin was really starting to get to her.

"This is so not me. Normally I'd be telling you how smothered I feel right now."

"Love does freaky things to people," he replied as he pulled her towards the bathroom.

"I hate love!" she grumbled as she followed him. "It turns annoying people into… cute, lovable people that you want to spend the rest of your life with!"

Andrew stopped. With a straight face, he turned around and said, "I could say the same."

She stared at him until it dawned on her and she started cracking up. Now their neighbors were probably wondering who was howling in the bathroom. Oh, well.

The newlyweds rushed to Oscar's for breakfast with the rest of the Paxton clan. They had hardly sat down when they were asked to tell their revised love story.

"So, now that you're married, I'd like to hear about the real proposal," said Grace, after a sip of orange juice.

Andrew groaned. "You know it, mom. You were there for most of it."

"I know, but I wasn't there when you popped the question. Besides, someday your kids will want to know."

"Go on, tell us, you two," urged Gammy.

"Start from the beginning," said Ramone, who awaited the juicy details.

Margaret cleared her throat. "Uh, well… it's crazy. As you know, Andrew and I were working at the same company, and he was my assistant. I always thought he was kind of cute, even if I never told him."

"Really?" he replied incredulously. "Because boy, did I loathe you. I used to count the minutes when I could get away from the office."

"I remember your first interview. It was obvious that you were well-read, highly intelligent, and would make a good lackey."

Andrew stuck out his tongue at her for using the word "lackey".

"When I first met Margaret, I wondered if I really wanted that job, but I took it on as sort of a challenge. Sometimes I still don't know how I did it."