A Ransom Provided Before the Kingdom

Jesus encouraged his followers, “Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom” (Luke 12:32). He specifically promised his disciples, “I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me; that ye may ... sit on thrones judging [ruling] the twelve tribes of Israel” (Luke 22:29,30). How saddened and disappointed they were that, instead of being enthroned as king, Jesus was crucified! As the two on the road to Emmaus said to him, whom they supposed was a stranger, we had “trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel” (Luke 24:21, 25-27). Then Jesus opened their eyes by explaining from the Scriptures that first his sacrifice was necessary before his Kingdom could be established.

God could have given Jesus the dominion of earth without redeeming man. “The Most High ruleth [over] the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he [pleaseth]” (Daniel 4:32), but in that case any blessings for the world would be temporary. For man to receive everlasting life, he must be first legally redeemed from the penalty of death.

When Jesus was about to ascend back to heaven, with hopes revived, the apostles enquired, “Lord, wilt thou at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” The Lord did not respond, “Israel?—they just crucified me!” Instead Jesus’ answer did not contradict their hopes but simply said, “It is not for you to know the times and seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power” (Acts 1:6,7). His answer clearly implied a future time for the establishment of his Kingdom.