Ancient Worthies Resurrected As Leaders

The “Ancient Worthies” are those men and women of faith who lived before Christ opened a “new and living way” to “glory and honor and immortality” (Hebrews 10:20, Romans 2:7). These include people like Abel, Noah, Abraham, Sarah, Moses, Samson, David, Samuel, Rahab and the Prophets. “These all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise” (Hebrews 11:39). As men and women of proven faith, they will not be brought forth to judgment again, but will be raised as perfect human beings at the outset of the Kingdom.

Their leadership and example will inspire the world. They will be models of perfection for the world to see. As the world comes up from their graves with their handicaps and challenges, they will see the potential of perfect life exhibited in the Ancient Worthies. These Ancient Worthies will be the human representatives of the Heavenly Kingdom of God on earth.

We are not given explicit information as to the exact manner in which these two phases of the Heavenly Kingdom will operate, but we know that after the final removal of the kingdoms of this world, and the binding of Satan, these divinely honored agents of God will lead the world to a better future. The world will quickly learn to cooperate with them, follow their lead, and progress up the “way of holiness” (Isaiah 35:8).

The Ancient Worthies as perfect men will establish a perfect government. Well planned educational and charitable works will promote every aspect of human welfare. The wealth of the world will multiply and be distributed equitably among all who cooperate. The Ancient Worthies will draw upon the wisdom from above, and the human race will be elevated step by step, back to life, health, blessing, and ultimately to perfection.

As people have God's law written “in their inward parts ... their hearts” (Jeremiah 31:33), every noble desire and ambition may be gratified. It will be glorious and satisfying. When the work of restitution is complete, at the end of a thousand years, the whole human race will stand approved, without spot or wrinkle, in the presence of God—excepting the few incorrigible, who will be removed (Matthew 25:46, Revelation 21:8).

The work and labor of the Ancient Worthies will never be forgotten by their grateful fellows. They will shine as “the stars forever and ever” and be held in everlasting remembrance (Daniel 12:3; Psalms 112:6). The saints in glory will “shine forth as the sun” (Matthew 13:43). The honors of heaven and earth will be laid at the feet of Christ and his heavenly “bride” class, and ages of eternal blessing will lie ahead (Romans 8:18; Ephesians 2:7-14).