Jerusalem on Two Mountains

“Who shall ascend into the hill [mountain] of Jehovah? Or who shall stand in His holy place? He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart” (Psalm 24:3,4).

Jerusalem was built on a double-top mountain, separated into two parts by the Tyropoeon Valley. It was one city, with one wall, and bridges connecting the two parts. On one mountain was the Temple, symbolizing the priestly office of the glorified Church. The other mountain might be understood to represent the earthly phase of the Kingdom.

It was an honor to be in the city at all, and a still greater honor to ascend the mountain with the holy Temple, where priests would officiate. “Clean hands and a pure heart” are necessary to attain either honor—whether the heavenly call now, or the earthly call during the Millennium.

We who aspire to the Royal Priesthood, the heavenly kingdom, “walk not after the flesh, but after the spirit” (Romans 8:1). The Ancient Worthies, who will serve in the Earthly Kingdom, also loved righteousness, hated iniquity, and were grieved when overtaken by weakness. During the Millennium, when God's spirit, the spirit of truth, is poured out upon “all flesh” (Acts 2:17), mankind will also need to strive for purity of heart if they would have a right to enter the city—the kingdom prepared for them from the foundation of the world (Matthew 25:34)—the original dominion of earth restored.