Agreements

I retreated back to my spot next to Marie, it suddenly dawned on me that she would recognize Mr. Blackbourne. Dad was pacing again and ignoring us. "Don't let on that you recognize Mr. Blackbourne." I murmured, glancing up at her. She gave me a blank stare. "He's helping us and everything will happen the way I promised."

"Fine." She muttered before looking away again and watching Dad as he crisscrossed the room. "I trust you." She said before glancing at me again. "How'd you figure out about another sibling?"

"Lucky guess to be honest." I shrugged. "Just thought it all sounded a bit fishy... I mean, if he could do it to my mom when she was my age, how many others DID he do that to?"

Marie looked thoughtful for a moment. "Yeah." She finally said. "Good guess." She said as we fell silent, watching him again.

I was relieved when the doorbell rang and I got up to go answer it. "Good morning." I greeted Mr. Blackbourne and Dr. Roberts.

"Good Morning, Miss Sorenson." They both greeted me as I allowed them in and closed the door before leading the way into the living room. I introduced them to Dad and Marie. Mr. Blackbourne kept his face blank as if he'd never met Marie before as well and I was pleased that she did as well. Everyone looked to me for what was happening, I inwardly held back a smirk because I knew that both Dr. Roberts and Mr. Blackbourne were probably fully aware of what had been going on this morning. "Please, won't you be seated?" I offered and everyone found a seat.

Gosh, if there was ever more a reason to be a Blackbourne, today was it. Especially under the steady, encouraging gaze of Mr. Blackbourne himself. It was all I could do to stop myself from pushing my index finger into my lower lip. I straightened my shoulders and clasped my hands behind my back before taking a deep breath and addressing them all. "Thank you for coming." I said to the two of them. "We have a need in our family to have some agreements written out and I felt a notarization would be sufficient as none of us feel the need to hire a lawyer and have agreements hammered out that are legally binding." I cut a sharp glance at Dad. "All three of us can agree on details and each have a copy for our records with the understanding that if any of us break the agreements then there would be the option to pursue legal proceedings." Marie nodded and I saw Mr. Blackbourne glance at her for a brief moment.

"I think that sounds reasonable." Dr. Roberts said. "Do you have some agreements already in mind, dear?"

I smiled slightly as Dad started to open his mouth. "Oh yes, I do. I took the liberty of writing them up and printing them out even." I said before I moved to the desk by the computer where Mr. Blackbourne told me Luke had stashed the printouts that had been written up and printed by Dr. Green last night before he came over.

Dad frowned. "Just when did you do that?" he demanded.

I shrugged slightly. "What's wrong? Not happy that you didn't think to be prepared for this meeting?" I gave him a scathing glance. "Oh, right, no, you were still going to just go ahead and try to make us go to boarding school anyway. Silly girls, can't possibly think for ourselves."

Marie snorted and crossed her arms again. "Right." She nodded, giving him a cutting glance as well. "The one legal proceeding you'll have to do is a divorce with my mother, of course." I nodded and Dad scowled but fell silent.

Dr. Roberts had been watching us all interestedly. "Very interesting." He commented.

Mr. Blackbourne pushed his glasses up farther on his nose. "If we could get started then."

"Of course." I nodded and passed around the packets. "First is an agreement that we are not going to go to boarding school, and we are to be given until the end of June in this house." There was a rustle of papers as everyone read and analyzed the wording of the agreement. I glanced at Dad. "Did you want a direction on there that you are to seek finances from getting a refund on the boarding school tuitions? That will ensure about 3 years of finances in your pocket right now." I said dryly.