Prologue

The rain was pouring without mercy over Samurodate, a large city quietly located in the mixing pot of cultures that was once known as Asia. On the rich side of town lived the Takeuchi's who resided in a moderately sized house for that side of the city- but in a massive mansion to the rest of us. The Takeuchi's slept soundly in their beds, parents in one room and little Mei in another. They looked like a normal family, living happily and prosperously. 

But one should never judge a book by its cover.

Mrs.Takeuchi slowly sat up in bed. Her room was royal and grand. The normally bright colors looked dark and menacing in the moonlight, as if they were encouraging her to follow through with her evil intentions. She took a breath, slid off the bed, and slipped on her slippers. She pulled her silk robe tightly around her, the flowering pattern distorting. She quietly shuffled to the door, trying not to wake her dear, sleeping husband. He'd had a hard day at work and had to come home to the news that their child had once again reeked havoc in school, this time almost killing a fellow student in a simple game of catch. The third time this week. The tenth time this month. Simply problematic. Mrs.Takeuchi shook her head and grabbed the brass doorknob. Her hands trembled as she pulled it open. Was she really going to do this?

She made her way down the finely carpeted hallway, embellished with pictures of their happy family. She grabbed one and held it. Mei stood between her parents outside in the garden. She had beautiful dark brown eyes and dark hair to match. Her skin was pale and she was so thin and precious. Tears started to gather in Mrs. Takeuchi's eyes. She knew the truth. The child was evil, threatening her marriage with every mistake she made. She was a curse on the family. A dangerous curse, in fact. Her teachers said that Mei was just strong and had acute aim, that it all happened on accident. They said she's just a child and doesn't know what she's doing, and should be taught how to control her talent. Meanwhile, during her tea parties with the other higher class women, Mrs.Takeuchi would get ridiculed for having given birth to an animal. A monkey, one had said, that flings whatever it gets its grubby paws on. She didn't even get good grades or score well enough to be placed with the other gifted children. Mei was already failing in her father's eyes. Mrs.Takeuchi had enough, she wasn't going to raise a monster.

She threw the picture on the ground. Nothing happened, the carpet was too thick. She stepped over it and kept moving. She wasn't going to turn back now. She opened the door to her daughter's room quietly. Maybe she could do this without waking her, maybe her daughter would never know who did it. She snuck to her daughter's bedside and picked her up. She was so light. How could such a doll like human be so dangerous?

"Mother?" Mei squeaked.

"Hush, child." She muttered.

"Where are we going?" Mei asked as her mother carried her down the stairs. She didn't answer.

They made their way through the entryway and out of the front door, into the harsh rains of Samurodate. Within a step or two they were already soaked. Mrs.Takeuchi kept moving onward, carrying her daughter carefully to the car. She laid Mei in the back and closed her door. This was going to happen, and there was absolutely no turning back now. She plopped into the driver's seat, slammed the door shut, and started the engine. She then sat there, contemplating. Could she really do this? Was it worth it? The child was her own flesh and blood after all.

She loved her daughter. Mei was her beautiful creation. But the voice of her husband slipped into her mind, saying how much he husband hated Mei, and always repeatedly mentioned how much he'd wanted a son. She remembered how he called her a terrible mother for not being able to take care of Mei, she couldn't teach her. She didn't want her daughter to grow up like this. She didn't want to deal with this. She didn't ask for this. She wasn't going to deal with this.

She slammed her foot on the gas.

"Mommy!" Mei screamed, startled by the sudden movement. Water started to land on Mrs.Takeuchi's cheek. When did it start raining inside?  She thought, as it made its way down her face.

"I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry, Mei." Mrs.Takeuchi sobbed. Mei was confused, why was her mother apologizing so profusely? Mei pulled herself between the two front seats.

"It's ok." Mei said, wiping a tear off her mother's cheek. Mrs.Takeuchi tensed, but more sobs kept coming, more tears kept falling.

They drove all the way past the large iron gates, to the poor side of Samurodate. Mei pressed her face up against the window. The houses here were smaller- much smaller. Like sheds, almost. Paint was becoming unpeeled and windows had bars. Everything looked rusty and was covered in dust and dirt. Mei didn't like it. She didn't like it at all.

"Mommy, I don't wanna be here." she said quietly.

"It's the only way, Mei. I'm so sorry." She whispered.

Mrs.Takeuchi hit the brakes as soon as they reached a place that looked sedentary enough. The rain was still pouring, adding to the misery. She turned off the engine and opened the door, got out, and closed it. She stood outside the door of the passenger seat, water trickled down her face so fast it was like being submerged in water. Did she really want to do this?

It's too late to turn back now, she thought.

She flung the door open. On the inside sat little Mei, her hair was messy and her clothes baggy. She stared up at her mother with huge dark eyes, terrified. Mrs.Takeuchi swallowed the urge to cry again. She gently grabbed Mei's arm and pulled her out into the rain.

"Mommy, there's no umbrella." Mei squeaked tiredly.

"I know, my dear." she replied, pulling Mei to the front of the car.

Mrs.Takeuchi stood with her daughter in front of the car one last time. This would be the last time she would see her. The last time she could hold her tiny hands and admire her creation. Mrs.Takeuchi let go of Mei's hands, letting them fall to her side. She began to walk away. Mei tried to follow.

"No, Mei. Stay here," She said, the pain starting to well up inside her.

"Why?" she asked. Mrs.Takeuchi did not turn around, she knew if she turned around then she wouldn't be able to do it.

"I'm so, so sorry my darling." She said one last time. She walked away and got in her car. She started the engine. Her small daughter covered her face to block the brightness of the head lights. She stepped on the gas. She swung in reverse, took a turn, and sped away. Mei stood in the middle of the empty street, terrified.

"Mommy?" She called. No answer. Her mother was gone for good. She started to cry. She fell to her knees. She was only five years old, how could this happen?

Someone grabbed her arm, she looked up. A man with ragged hair and crazy eyes stared down at her hungrily. She gasped.

"Hello, sweetie." he said, "how about you come inside?"

"No! Let me go!" Mei screamed. The man laughed manically. Suddenly, he froze. His eyes opened wide. He fell over. Mei stared in horror at the throwing dart in his back. Blood pooled from the incision. Mei's heart raced. Someone softly put their hand on her shoulder, she looked up again, reluctantly. This time a young man with light brown eyes and wet black hair stood above her. He smiled kindly.

"Don't cry, child. You're safe now. I won't let the scary man get near you ever again," He said. He gently took her to his home where he lived with his wife. They hadn't expected for her to have been abandoned, perhaps a runaway, but they welcomed her anyway. This would be Mei's new home.