Chapter 8: Heartbreak Stinks More Than The Sewer

Katsu and I made awkward eye contact far too often the following morning. After he said my name- my real name- I was too in shock to say anything before Jae walked in and plopped down on the couch. Turns out Satoshi kicked him out of the kitchen. 

Before we knew it, it was time for dinner, then bed almost immediately after. I didn't have time to explain myself. Looking at him made me so nervous I thought I'd throw up.

"We've got a busy day ahead of us," Satoshi announced, sitting at the end of the breakfast blanket.

"But we just had a competition yesterday," Bammi whined across from me. Jae sat next to me and Katsu was the furthest away by anything but coincidence.

"Don't worry, kiddo. It's busy, but it's gonna be fun," Satoshi said with a wink. Bammi gasped.

"ARE WE GONNA GO TO-" he started, but Jae shushed him. Bammi shrunk a little, upset that his excitement had been stifled by his bossy brother.

"It's a surprise," Jae stated simply, nodding at me. Bammi looked like he was having trouble containing his excitement, his face almost red.

"But wait, there's more!" Satoshi exclaimed. Bammi was having the time of his life.

"MORE?" he asked/screamed. He was very bad at keeping his emotions at bay.

"Aunty's coming to visit!" Satoshi announced. Bammi clapped.

"Aunty?" Katsu asked, looking up from his untouched breakfast. I thought I'd be the one asking that.

"Yeah. Blue Blade's mom, you haven't met her?" Jae asked Katsu. Katsu shook his head, his black hair swaying a little. "But you two were the closest-"

"It's because Katsu was visiting Blade's grave when she came by," Satoshi clarified.

"Oh right..." Katsu muttered.

"Yeah. Anywho, make sure to dress nice. Jae, that means button ups. Katsu, no black," Satoshi said as he got up and stretched. I put my hand up slowly. Satoshi looked at it and raised an eyebrow.

"I don't have any nice clothes," I said awkwardly. I hadn't brought anything that wasn't meant for sleeping or fighting. Satoshi sighed.

"C'mon Mau. A man's always gotta have something nice to wear. You never know when you're gonna need it," Satoshi lectured. I nodded and looked down, embarrassed at my lack of gentlemanliness.

"I'll let him borrow one of mine," Katsu offered quietly. I looked at him, he wouldn't look me in the eye and continued to poke at his food.

"Problem solved, thanks Kas. You've always got Mau's back," Satoshi said, walking over and ruffling Katsu's hair. He then went and walked toward his room, stretching his arm, "what a team player," he said, promptly closing the door.

"Welp," Jae started, "come on Bammi, let's see if we can find a shirt that fits you."

"Ok!" Bammi chirped, "Oh, and Mau-y, if Katsu doesn't have a shirt that fits you, I think Jae might. He's super skinny so his clothes even fit me," he giggled. I smiled at him.

"Thanks, Bammi, I'll keep that in mind."

He nodded and stood up, following Jae into the room, who lightly smacked his head. They closed the door. I decided this was my chance. I scooted over so that I was face to face with Katsu, an already daring move. I leaned forward.

"Katsu," I whispered. He looked me dead in the eye. He seemed so angry. Why was he so angry? My life was the one at risk, not his.

"What, Mei?" he replied quietly. Him saying my real name twisted my guts. I inhaled.