Chapter 3: I get a Haircut

ZOOP!

My eyes were covered with a blindfold. It was a new technique Ajuma was trying, hoping that I would be able to throw even if my sight was compromised. I'd been coming here everyday for the last week. Finding excuses to leave the house were getting hard to come by, but it was my last day with Ajuma anyway so it didn't matter. Recently she had started teaching me how to use a bow and arrow (which I mastered within a few days), and a sword (which I can't even swing properly). My hands ached from throwing the chopsticks as I undid the blindfold.

"I hope I made it." I muttered. I heard Ajuma laugh as I took off my blindfold. I had hit the dummy slightly left of the middle of it's chest. I had hit it in the heart.

"Of course you made it! Your aim improved so fast- if I didn't know any better I would have thought you were using magic," Ajuma said happily. She'd started become less strict after I started hitting the targets properly.

At some points she would get angry, and try to convince me to ditch the competition and work with her at the shop. I knew she did so because she was worried, but there were many expenses that needed to be paid- and working at the shop just wouldn't cut it.

"Thank you, Ajuma. Now, I have to go and sign up for the competitions!" I said with a bow. I tried to make my way out quickly because I knew if I took my time with goodbyes I would probably cry. Don't stop me, don't stop me.

"Mei," Ajuma called. I stopped, my body halfway out of the training room. I slowly turned to face her. She watched me with sad eyes. It felt like she was going to ask me to just sell some of the novelty katana pens instead.

"Yes, Ajuma?"

"Come with me," She said, motioning me to a closet hidden in the dark corner of the training room. I followed behind her as we made our way inside. It was dirty and dusty. There were bins of broken weapons and shelves full of random objects and boxes. Off of one of the shelves, she pulled a dusty wooden box. She handed it to me carefully. I opened the lid. It was a male kimono.

"It belonged to my son." She said, staring at the clothing. My eyes widened. How can she give me something she must find so precious?

"Ajuma, you should keep this. It must mean a lot to you." I pressed, trying to hand the box back to her. She shook her head.

"You need them. It was for good luck, but he left them behind. Please, Mei, if you want to pay me back for helping you, wear these. Bring some honor to this little old woman's life."

I didn't know what to say. She'd done so much for me. I nodded.

"Yes, ma'am." I bowed.

"One more thing," She began, "When you put on the robes, come see me before you leave."

"Of course, how could I leave without saying goodbye to my Sensei?" I asked, smiling. She smiled back. I finally turned and walked away. I glanced at the clock as I made my way out: 3:30. I gasped and started to run. I jumped out the door and started dashing through the market, clutching the box tightly to my chest. The signing was at 4:00. If I don't sign up quickly then they might not pick me.

My ribs started to hurt but I didn't have much time. Finally, I reached my house. While trying to slow my breathing, I opened the door. My parents sat in the livingroom.

"Ah, Mei. Welcome back," My dad said, standing up. His face looked serious. He glanced at the box in my hand, "What's that?" he asked.

"It's some clothes I bought.... I wanted to get something nice to wear when I saw my parents." I replied smoothly. I'd gotten better at lying. It was shameful.