Move on

"Tyler! Where are you! Come on, your scaring me!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. Please don't tell me that he was in there, there's no way... Ruby's eyes were beginning to water, it broke my heart just to see her like this. To my shock, she ran towards it. Towards the fire, to find him. I tilted my head down, and grabbed her arm before she could jump over the creek. Her foot slipped in the sand surrounding the creek, but me and Austin caught her. We both wrapped our arms around the weeping little girl who had just experienced something that nobody should have to go through. We all three crumpled to the ground, arms wrapped around each other. Rain came shortly later, causing the fire to subside. We sat there in the cold, wet rain. I felt the warm tears stream down all of our faces, and knew I had to say something. "We just need to move on, it's all we can do. It's...it's what he would have wanted," I stifled through the tears that were flooding down my face. I looked up at Austin, and gave a sad smile. For the first run that I had ever seen, he did the same. His electric blue eyes were rimmed with red, and tears rolled down his face, in a silent, steady stream. For the rest of the night, we didn't say a word. Nothing else mattered for that couple of hours.

When morning finally came, everything seemed fresh. When we woke from the sleep that we had drifted into without even noticing it, we were all very quiet. Not sad quiet, but that peaceful, comfortable silence that is only silent because there is nothing that really needs to be said. The only thing separating us from the tower now was a field of rainbow sand.

A part of me didn't want to leave the forest. It wanted to search them and search them and not stop under the little bit of hope I had left that maybe, maybe he was still alive. But the part of me that knew the for the sake of the others, we should move on, overruled that other small part.

When I had just thought that the rest of the way to the tower would be peaceful, I started sinking into the multicolored sand of what would end up as a big problem.