Chapter 10

Hey everyone! I am back with a new chapter! Hope you like it.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I didn't know what I was expecting. Was I expecting that he was just a violent guy for no reason? Was I expecting him to be drug addict? Or was I expecting him to just be a rebel? I didn't know exactly what I was expecting the reason he was a bully to be, but it definitely was not that he was being abused the same way I was.

I followed Gabriel into his kitchen and followed his movements with my eyes. I wanted to say something, I just didn't know what to say to make it all better. Hell, I didn't even know how to get my own shit together. I was lost in my thoughts when his voice brought me back to reality again, and I smiled as I looked up at him.

"So? Is that a yes?" Gabriel asked, crossing his arms over his chest, raising an eyebrow with that signature smirk of his that he usually only gave to his friends.

"I would love to, just don't cry when my cooking turns out better than yours," I said, moving my hand to roll up my sleeve, then I remembered that my arm was not a pretty sight. I think Gabriel noticed me freezing up because he sighed and made his way to me.

"I understand, why you did it.. Why you do it, I understand," Gabriel said and rolled up my sleeve for me. "It is the same reason I bully those who are weaker than me, we both needed an outlet and they are both self-destructive huh?" He chuckled as he let go of my hand.

"I guess so," I mumbled and rolled up my other sleeve. This was the first time I didn't feel ashamed of myself, of my little scars, of the bruises on my arm. "So, what are we making?" I asked, looking up at Gabe who was watching me closely.

"Turkey meatballs and pasta, I am feeling Italian style tonight," he said and I nodded. And with that we both got to cooking.

We were mostly silent the entire time as we prepared dinner, but it was a comfortable silence. Gabriel just came out to his friends, which turned out pretty well, and then he found out about my father's abuse and told about his own abusive mother. And yet the silence was comfortable, the atmosphere was relaxed and I felt safe here.

"When did it start?" I asked before I could stop myself. Gabriel glanced at my as he stirred the sauce and shrugged.

"I think maybe four years ago, or five I am not really sure it is kind of becoming a blur at this point," he said and bit the inside of his cheek. "It started when my father died in a car accident. She blamed me for his death, after all he was coming over to the school because I got into a fight with this guy and he got hit and died. It started with her ignoring me then it escalated to her calling me names, and now she hits me when she gets a chance or throws something at me," he said, furrowing his eyebrows. "I am just waiting till I graduate this year and leave her, I already have a place set up, the landlord knew my father and she is letting me stay there and I will pay rent of course... Ah, what about you?"

I looked away when he asked me about my own life. So Gabriel knew that none of this was his fault, he actually blamed his mother for what he was going through, and that got me thinking that maybe it wasn't my fault either.

"I was five an-"

"Five?! He has been doing this to you since you were five?!" Gabriel growled as he took the pan off the stove and then turned to face me. "What the actual hell?"

"Just listen, do you want to know or not?" I asked and crouched down to grab the meatballs out of the oven.

"I was five when my mother started doing drugs, all sorts.. I remember seeing all kinds of colors and shapes that she ate, smoked, shot up. And that lasted for about six more years, and they both became distant, and dad would always say things like I was the one that made mom do drugs, because I made them miserable," I said and glanced at Gabriel, only to avert my eyes again when I saw how angry he was getting. "Then she died, dad said from a drug overdose, I never even saw her body and for the next year things started to happen slowly. He would touch me, and he would call me names, and he would tell me that she died because of me."

"And do you believe him? That she overdosed because of you?" Gabriel asked, setting the food on the table.

"It makes sense, she always looked at me with those grief and sorrow filled eyes, and she would say things like 'for you' or 'because of you', was I supposed to think otherwise?" I asked, sitting down in front of Gabriel on the table.

The blond shook his head. "Something doesn't add up for me, at least in your story.. I don't know Ace, but the only thing I know is that she didn't die because of you, and that you deserved none of what happened to you," he said, plating his food. "Will you let me take care of you?"

"Why Gabriel? What with the sudden change of heart?" I asked, staring at him. He was beautiful, just plain gorgeous.

"Because I feel like shit for what I put you through, and because I want to get to know you more, and I really just want to protect you from everyone and everything," he said then smirked. "Plus you are so tiny and adorable, kind of like a bunny."

"Well this bunny bites, so shut up and eat," I said and smiled when he chuckled.

We sat in silence for a while then I frowned. "Your mom ,will she be upset if she knows I am here?" I asked, suddenly worried about the trouble I was definitely causing Gabriel.

"Yeah, but she is not coming home for a few days, so just hang out here till she comes back, then maybe you can go hang out at Luke's, I am sure he won't mind," he said, then he fell quiet as if he was calculating something.

"I am not going to burden you both with me, plus I have to go home," I said, only for Gabriel to shake his head.

"Just trust me, I am going to get your old man in jail, I am telling you something doesn't add up with your story," he said then smiled. "So as for us? Friends?"

"Friends don't kiss each other," I commented, only for him to blush. I had to hold back a smile, he looked adorable with a blush.

"Friends with benefits?"

"Boyfriends, you are curious Gabriel, and you feel something for me, that's why you stopped bullying me, well I think we can get along and if we don't work out.. Then friends?" I asked, staring at the now very shocked Gabriel.

"Ah.. Yeah, I would like that, it means I get to kiss you and stuff," he mumbled, a smitten look in his eyes.

'Idiot,' I thought then frowned. "Wait, what doesn't add up?" I asked.

Gabriel tipped his head to the side. "It is clear he doesn't give a crap about you-"

"Thanks," I mumbled. crossing my arms and I leaned back in my chair.

"No, well.. I didn't mean it like that, but he is not your father Ace, and he clearly doesn't care, so why didn't he give you up?"

"Wait what? He is not my father?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"No, hell no, when I noticed how weird you acted sometimes I got worried and I saw him leaving your house one day, and Ace, he looks nothing like you, he even has brown hair not black and he has brown eyes," Gabriel said.

And then it struck me that my mom had brown hair, but we had the same eyes.

"If he is not my father... Then who the hell is that man?"