"Emotional Constipation"

Fun couldn't last forever, which was the downfall of most of the moods in the compound. The attack of the Thames Building loomed ever closer, as did the pressure to be better and faster than they were the day before. It seemed that everyone was working around the clock, even the robots in the cafeteria kitchen. Schedules went out the window, but still, everything still seemed to go off on a regular basis without a hitch.

Dan and Phil especially had almost no time to themselves. They slept in the same room every night and used the same bathroom every day, but they didn't have time to talk about anything besides strategy or really touch each other besides with fists and elbows and knees. They succeeded at the little things: hands brushing when they passed in the hallway or while they brushed their teeth, thighs pressed together at the breakfast table, or stolen kisses before bed. They definitely didn't have time to talk about what they were. Were they a couple, boyfriends? Was it a casual thing, or friends with benefits? No one knew, especially not Dan. What he did know was that it was hard to put your heart and soul into a relationship you cared about when you had a race of people to protect.

Pretty early in the day, PJ called the boys down to the poolroom. He said it was urgent, and that he finally had a breakthrough. The two of them headed down to the basement and through the blue tarp. There were PJ and Chris, waiting expectantly. The former especially looked very excited.

Dan was mostly distracted by the yellow school bus still sitting in the empty pool, and by remembering the first time he saw it. How different things were, how different he was. He snapped his attention back around when Phil asked what was up.

"I've finally finished it," PJ declared, gesturing widely to the bus.

Dan raised a brow. "Was it ever unfinished?" he asked.

PJ sighed as if Dan was simple minded, but the over dramatic eye roll told him that it was all for show. "Everything is ready now, I mean. Remote start, tracking devices, thrusters, weapon systems," he explained, thrusting one of his many tablets into Phil's hands, "Go on, press some buttons."

"Weapon systems?" Phil repeated, his fingers hovering over the screen.

Chris's grin widened. "That was my idea. What kind of vehicle toting superheroes doesn't have its own guns? And, well, it's a school bus, innit? Needs to be intimidating somehow!"

Dan nodded in agreement and Phil tapped something on the tablet. The engines started, and they roared like racecars. The dash inside the cab lit up with multiple colored lights, showing that it wasn't your average vehicle dashboard. "Wicked," Dan muttered.

"Right?" added Chris with a triumphant expression.

Phil tapped the screen again and everything turned off. He handed it back to PJ as he spoke again. "I thought it would be a good idea to drive this into London, as opposed to a bunch of junk cars. The windows are tinted, and it'll fit everyone easily."

"Great idea, that'll be perfect," said Phil, "We'll need the element of surprise."

PJ grinned proudly and Dan nodded. "Well done."

Phil was turning to leave, also singing PJ's praises, but Dan grabbed his arm. He stilled instantly. Dan cleared his throat. "Would either of you like to go on the mission? You're both part of the team, but-"

"Don't worry about it, Dan," Chris said, "You don't have to try and include everyone."

He narrowed his eyes a bit. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Alright, look," PJ said, holding up his hands, "No need to get defensive. What he means is there is a lot of us who don't have offensive powers, so we can't be involved in the mission that's just an attack. And while that's fine," he paused and gave Chris a look, "Some of us do feel left out. But there's not much we can do. At least I'm on mission control."