"Flame Prince and Jack Frost."

"Flame Prince and Jack Frost"

Dan and Phil had lunch with their usual crowd of friends that afternoon. Dan decided he could now consider Phil's friends to be his own, since he really had no intention to talk to anyone else. He still stuck close to Phil, but he was becoming less awkward around the others. Carrie especially seemed to like to beat him out of his shell. She was very sweet, but she was firm, and she was good at making him feel comfortable. PJ never seemed to show up for mealtimes, but today his roommate Chris was there. His power was a lot like Zoe's (whom Dan actually found himself missing) where he could mimic voices instead of appearances. He and Zoe would make a kickass team.

After their lunch hour, Dan said goodbye to Phil and made his way to the library for his meeting with Jenna. Phil didn't seem to think that meeting Jenna out of his daily schedule was such a good idea. Dan was excited though. He got to skive off that stupid library study time and maybe do something productive.

And speaking of Zoe... arms wrapped around Dan's neck suddenly outside the door to the library. "Dan! How've you been?" she said happily, right into his ear.

Dan chuckled and hugged her back briefly. "Hey, Zoe," he said, "I'm good. How've you been?"

"Fantastic," she replied and stepped away.

"So, what are you doing here?" Dan asked her.

Zoe looked around. "Alfie asked me to come. Apparently there are a couple others too," she said, "Something about a special meeting. I hoped I was getting exempt from this silly studying business."

"Me too!" said Dan, nodding in agreement.

Dan and Zoe waited outside the library on their own while they waited for others to show up. There were only a couple others who showed up. Dan didn't recognize any of them, but that wasn't much of a surprise since, again, he didn't want to socialize with anyone around him unless he absolutely had to.

Zoe was the first person to notice Jenna and Alfie, a broad shouldered guy with brown scruff, round the corner towards the small group. They were dressed differently than Dan expected. All the times that he had seen Jenna, she had been completely dolled up with heels and a dress. Now she was wearing tight workout pants and a t-shirt, and a ponytail. Alfie was wearing a pair of lounge pants and t-shirt as well. Dan exchanged a look with Zoe, who looked a little anxious. They were both wearing jumpers.

"This way, everyone," Alfie said, nodding back the way they came from.

The group followed wordlessly. Alfie walked slightly ahead of Jenna, who turned to talk to the group of them. "Listen closely, guys. This meeting is completely unscheduled for all of us. We are technically not here right now. Alfie and I have picked you all because we think you'll... understand," she said, "And because your powers are particularly useful."

"So we're breaking the rules?" asked a short girl in the back of the group.

"Abso-fucking-lutely," Jenna replied.

Zoe looked worried. "Won't we get in trouble?" she asked.

"Don't worry, Zoe," said Alfie as he peeked around a corner, "They have to catch us first. Come on, it's clear, cameras are off."

They proceeded around the corner and down a poorly lit stairwell. Dan looked around and noticed that this was oddly close to where he had heard Charlie and Jenna talking. And cameras? He never noticed any cameras around. It freaked him out they might be built in, like the alarm that had gone off again that morning.

"Where are we going?" someone behind Dan asked.

"You'll see!" Jenna replied.

At the bottom of the staircase they paused. There was a large white door there with old, black lettering that read "gymnasium". The tiny window that sat below the word was boarded up. "This is the old gym," Jenna explained, "This was used before The School started to have so many students. More than twenty years ago; people were either better at hiding or the government wasn't so good at spying then."