Part Nine

The next two months was a lot of time spend in the tree house with Chris and Gordie. Occasionally Vern or Teddy would stop by, but they only ever stayed for a few minutes. Gordie and I soon became fast friends. I think it made Chris really happy that we got along so well. We mostly bonded over our writing. Gordie was a very talented writer. Chris I had fallen in love with. There was no denying it. We hadn't said it to eachother yet but I knew he could see it in my eyes. I could see it in his too. We started to get very serious. We started talking about a life together. "When I marry you," he said, "I promise that I'll always protect you. I promise I'll always provide for you. I swear to god I'm gonna prove everyone wrong." I would just smile and take his cheeks in my hands and kiss him. That night when I went home my mom asked me to invite Chris over for dinner the next day. "You two have been getting pretty serious and I want to meet him before it goes any farther. Especially since he is eighteen and you're only fourteen." My father said. The next morning at school I met Chris at my locker. "Hey babe!" He said as he kissed me. "Hey Chris. So listen... Uh my parents wanna meet you... So... Uh will you come to dinner at our house tonight?" Chris took my hands and looked at me. "Of course. I would love to meet them." He said. Though, he sounded very nervous. "Babe I gotta split. I have to meet with my councilor about applying for colleges, but your lockers open. All you gotta do is pull. I'll see ya at lunch!" He said quickly stealing a kiss. As I opened my locker I noticed a tiny purple flower on top of an envelope. I smiled, "Chris is a sly son of a bitch." I thought to myself. I picked up the flower and put it in my hair. I grabbed the envelope, opened it, and started reading the letter inside as I walked to Mr. Clarks class.