Chapter 1

June 2015

Everything was packed. I'm finally getting out of here. I walked into my little brother's room finding him sitting against the wall.

"Hey." He looked up at me and nodded. I walked over and slid down next to him, resting my head against his arm.

"I don't like this."

"You know I have to do this. I need to find out more about my dad and I need to find me."

"I hate how you have to go alone."

"Sophia has her own life and you still have school."

"Be good." He smiled.

"Always, you too little brother."

"Call if you need anything."

"I will."

"Love you."

"Love you." I kissed his cheek and stood up.

"Give me a hug." He got up and pulled me in for a tight hug.

"Take care of the fort for me."

"I will."

We let go and I went to grab my stuff before leaving. No one knew I was leaving besides my little brother Cohen. My dad's, mom is out in Arizona right now, so I'm going to be making my way out there. I haven't seen her since I was little, so I hope it's not going to be too weird. This could backfire on me, or turn out really great.

Finally, after hours on the stupid train I finally made it to Arizona.

"You lost?" I turned to a nerdy looking guy.

"No, I'm good thank you." He nodded, walking the other way. I looked on my phone to find a taxi service. The taxi will be here in a few minutes so I walked into the sun. The heat is nothing like it is back in Ohio. It's so dry, it feels like a blow dryer, but then again there's no humidity. I texted my brother telling him I was okay. The taxi finally pulled up. I grabbed my bag giving the guy the address.

"You going home?"

"It's my grandma's house." He nodded and I looked out the window seeing the city. It's so much different than living in Cleveland.

"We're here dear."

"Thank you so much."

"Whatever you're looking for I hope you find it."

"Thank you, me too." I smiled taking my bag. I was a little nervous being here without my mom. Slowly I made it up to the door and knocked. A few minutes later the door finally opened.

"Hi grandma."

"Ellie?" She gasped looking me over.

"Hi."

"You've gotten so big." She reached for me giving me a hug. I sighed returning the hug.

"Does your mom know you're here?"

"No, and I would like to keep it that way."

"Why, is something wrong?"

"Everything is okay, they are all okay. I've just been struggling for a little while. I want to know more about my dad and where I've come from."

"Of course. Come sit down." I followed her into the living room sitting down next to her.

"Did you just get in?"

"Yea."

"You can stay here."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course."

"Thank you." I smiled.

"How is everyone?"

"Good, how have you been?"

"Good, I keep myself busy most days. You graduated right?"

"Yea, just a couple of weeks ago."

"I'm so proud of you. Do you have any pictures?" I nodded getting my phone out. Looking at my pictures I showed her the one with my siblings.

"There's Sophia and Cohen."

"She sure does look like McKenna."

"Just like her sometimes."

The next picture was of me and mom. I miss her, but I need this for myself.

"You okay?"

"Just missing home."

"Maybe you should give your mom a call, just to let her know you're okay."

"Yea your right."

She showed me to a room and I thanked her. The room was small, but it was enough for me. I don't know how long I'm going to be here, but it shouldn't be too long. There were messages from everyone, so I just deleted them and pulled up my mom's number. It only took a few seconds before my mom picked up.

"Hey momma." I said shyly.

"Elizabeth Faith Price, where the hell are you?" She hissed.

"Mom I'm fine, I'm safe."

"Where are you?"

"I'm with grandma."

"You're in Arizona." She gasped.

"Yes mom."

"Ellie."

"I'm fine okay, I have to go."

"I love you so much baby girl."

"Love you too momma." I hung up and lay on the bed, falling asleep.