1. Not Always Good Things

I was here. No one can say I wasn't, no one can say I haven't tried. I never wanted this. But every time, I see myself, this pale skinned and broken girl appears. Who knew? Who knew I was here being bullied. Who knew I was here trying to be strong. Who knew someone was beating me? Who knew? No one. That's why I was weak and broken. Because no one knew. No one knew anything.

You judge someone on the outside. You look at their appearance. You judge. Don't say you don't because everyone does. But what you don't know if maybe that girl you always teased was going through a hardship. What if she is trying so hard not to kill herself because of you. You don't know her. Why should she tell you? You were the one who caused her pain.

I was here. I was always here. I always tried. Yet, I always failed. Now let's tell you, my story.

Chapter 1: The Hurt

You always remember your first friend. I know I did. She called me names and said I was a horrible person, just because her crush liked me instead of her. You could say that I'm not friends with her anymore.

Elementary school wasn't the best. I was always picked on for being short and pale. People pushed me around and called me a "vampire." To see what would happen, they threw garlic at me and screamed when I came near them. They called me names because I was Asian and outcasted me. One of the most horrendous things they did was pour trash on me, and say "Everyone can throw their trash here." They traumatized me enough to make me always alone, I literally couldn't speak. I was so little. I was so hurt.

Middle school is where I got called a nerd and was bullied for my race again. I guess the glasses weren't helping. But, more things happened at home than at school. My parents continually fought and left the house. My brothers were getting drunk and high for no reason. My family was falling apart. My parents always left the house and were always mad at each other. To the point where they shunned each other and got a divorce. Also, my grandparents kept yelling at my parents and my brother, Shane, always came home with booze and hit me with bottles. That was my childhood. Being bullied... everywhere. I'm surprised I haven't been cutting myself yet.

But I didn't tell you this to make you feel sorry for me, I told you this because I wanted you to know what I've been through that made me act so distant to the world.  

Now, I'm a highschooler at Raynerpeak Highschool. A regular girl at a regular high school with a regular life... Ha, I wish. Well, my mom died of terminal cancer, my dad left with my brother, Shane, and gave us a huge debt, but I'm not being bullied anymore. Isn't that wonderful?

Well, I still have my other brother, Tristan, who works to pay my tuition and apartment rent. But yeah, life's great.

As I walk through the gate to the high school, almost no one is there. I'm always early because it's so peaceful out here when there are no people doing whatever normal people do. How about I give you a description of myself to kill time. I am a 17-year-old girl who has black wavy hair, fair skinned and deep hazel eyes. I'm probably like 5'6 or something, and I don't pay attention to my weight. But, I guess I'm average. I love my dear glasses and huge sweaters. So yeah, there you go. I walk through the grass and sit on a bench near the tennis courts. I usually sit here because we don't have a big school tennis team because they hang out after school, so no one really hangs out over here. Besides, it near most of my classes.

I was always alone. No one really came near me. I was like invisible. And it was awesome. There was the occasional "Nerd" and "Freak," but other than that, my life was pretty decent. Wonder how I am still sane and not depressed? Easy. My brother. He keeps me in check. I literally have a therapist, it's my brother. Tristan was always a good and lovely being who cared for me, unlike the rest of my psychotic family.

The bell rang, and that indicated I had Calculus. Yay math, not. I hate it. It's so complicated even though I have an A in that class. But guess what? I bumped into someone. And guess what that someone was. The popular jock dude, Kaden James, just my luck.

"Watch it!" he said arrogantly.

"Sorry that you, an asshole, bumped into someone? Get over yourself." I said off-mindedly.

"Well doesn't the nerd have some attitude."

I walk away from him, not wanting to get involved with a stupid hormonal jock. But something tells me, it not the last time I'll see him. 

School went fine, everything was normal. As I was walking home, I thought about this: "What if things were different and I had an actual loving family and people didn't bully me?" I wouldn't be the same, that's for sure. I would actually want to fit in and be popular. I wouldn't be as messed up and understanding as I am right now. I would be stuck up and wouldn't know the things I know now.

As I was nearing the apartment building, I sighed and walked in the dull and boring place. Room 405, the only room I've lived in where I see no sign of harassment. I loved this room, so peaceful and painted a soft blue and white. It was better than everything else I've experienced living in.

"Tristan! You here?" I call out in the empty room.

No answer. Probably overtime shift. Oh well, I have to do homework anyway. Suddenly, our dog, Peach, came out wagging her tail so hard, she was shaking her little booty too. I smile and crouch down, scratching the back of her ears. I need to walk this lovely canine. As the leash is strapped on her collar, I walk out and lock the door. Peach runs out of the apartment very quickly, I could barely breathe by the time we got out.

Going into thought, I thought about Kaden James. I've at least been in one of his classes every year, since freshman year. Also, from what I've heard he was a typical rich bad boy/jock who broke girls hearts. Hey, maybe he was actually a decent person and down to earth. Oh yeah, life's a romantic girl's love story, and he just has to be stuck-up and cocky, just like in the books. I won't say he's ugly, because he's not. His raven black hair was always tousled and his grey eyes stared coldly at everyone. He had, of course, muscles and a tan complexion. However, to most girls, he was the epitome of perfect, prince charming, or whatever you want to call it. I want to fall in love with whoever I fall in love with, whether it be stupid or smart, thin or fat, or even ugly or handsome. We can't help who we fall in love with.

I continue walking my spaniel, Peach, around the block, as she excitedly looks and barks at random things; even glass. Suddenly, I feel strong arms around me, and the smell of... watermelon... TRISTAN. I whip myself around and gleam. My brother, Tristan, is my best friend, brother, therapist, chef, singer, dancer, etc. I love him to death.

"Tris!!! I thought you had over time?" 

"Nah. They let me off because I apparently work too much," he mutters.

If you haven't noticed,  my brother Tristan loves working, or rather loves his work. He is the PA to a small company and also a small part-time writer.  Some people thought we were twins because we look exactly the same, except he is 22. We both walk Peach back to the apartment.

I jump up on the counter and ask, "Anything exciting happen?"

"Well, I got a new boss, his name is Mr. James. Kind of cliche, don't you think?" he sings as he makes spaghetti.

Woah, wait. James?

"Does he have a son?" I ask subtly.

"Yeah why?" he asks.

"Is his son's first name Kaden?" I inquire, starting to get nervous.

"Yeah. It is. Know him?" he cocks an eyebrow at me.

Great. Just great.

Thanks, fate. For like everything.

A/ N: Hello, People who are reading this story. Well, I'm ShaSha. This is my second book. So comment and vote and do nice things. I like nice things. 

~ShaSha