Chapter 2: A Choice to Change the World

"Eternal marriage?" I breathed.

Maven smirked.

"Or would you prefer to have your poor sister and best friend killed?"

Oh no no no. This was a lose-lose for me. If I said no, Gisa, Kilorn, and probably me as well, would all lose our lives. If I said yes, I would have to marry the monster that made his own brother, Cal, my true love, kill their father. Technically, it was Elara, but I knew Maven was perfectly fine with his own brother killing his father.

"Let them go and we'll talk, Maven."

I mustered up all my courage as I said this and was surprised when he nodded.

"Of course. Let them go, Carros."

The strongarm dropped Kilorn and Gisa to the hard floor. I heard a sickly crack and barely held back a scream. Then I remembered. Somehow the silencers couldn't silence my power anymore. I contemplated killing the silencers and the strongarm, but if Maven saw that I wasn't under the control of the silencers, he would lock me up in Silent Stone.

Gisa looked up at me and mouthed

"Don't you dare marry that monster."

Kilorn had been dropped on his leg and it was facing backwards. He was wincing and I fought back tears. How could Maven say he loves me if he destroys everything I love to get me?

"Oh, Mare. I do love you, but you aren't cooperating, are you?" Maven chuckled.

Oh no no no again. How could he hear my thoughts? Was he a whisper too, like Elara? The thought frightened me so I told myself it was probably just how well he could read my emotions on my face.
"Sure, we'll put it that way, Mare. Now what is your decision? Will you save yourself or your friend and sister here?"
Maven smirked gesturing to Gisa and Kilorn crumpled on the floor