Chapter 4: Can I Go On?

Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale.

Slowly my senses return and I open my eyes. I can end this all now, I realized. It would be barely anything to get rid of the whole world right at this minute. Silver and red blood could scatter the empty streets. I could rule the whole world, and anyone that disobeys me would be- 

What? Those are NOT my thoughts. What is going on? As I adjust to the dim lights, I realize that it is silent. The silence is so loud it almost overwhelms me. But then I hear that voice again. Who's is it? I do not know. 

Then I realize, I am in the palace. I need to get my sister and Kilorn to safety! I rush over to their limp bodies, slumped on the floor. The guards are knocked out, as well as the Silencers. But where is that little scum rat, Maven? 

"Come and get me." A familiar drawl fills the air, still buzzing with my electric remnants. I whirl around and Maven is standing on a lavish balcony, suspended over the throne room. How did he get up there? He lazily answers my unasked question.

"You need to work on your eyesight, Mare." Then he suddenly disappeared into midnight blue smoke that wafted through the air.

"What?" I blinked, completely dumbfounded. Then I remembered! I hoisted Gisa over my shoulder and shook Kilorn to consciousness.

"Mare? Where are we..." Kilorn mumbled, his eyes fluttering open.

"That doesn't matter right now. We need to get out." From somewhere ahead of us in the huge hall, Maven's voice started laughing.  

"Crap." We don't have much time. "Come on!" I start running, Kilorn right behind  me. My head started to throb. I ran even faster and my head felt like it was splitting. I screamed and everything went black.

"Mare! Mare! Talk to me!" A face slowly came into focus and my eyes opened. "I feel horrible." I croaked. 

"Here, drink some water." I felt cold, smooth glass touching my lips and then a cool trickle of water slid down my throat. 

"Where am I?" I sat up, realizing I had to be on my guard. Then I noticed that I was no longer in the castle. 

"Mare! Do you feel better?" Cal's handsome face looked me in the eyes. My head started to hurt again. 

"Argh!" My vision flickered. I saw my mother's face, smiling. Then I saw Gisa, laughing, and then Kilorn, fishing with his master. 

"Am I dying?" I wondered aloud. 

"No! Mare, you can't die. We need you now, more than ever." Cal said, holding my hand. 

"The Scarlet Guard has a way to get rid of Maven. We just need to get his bracelet and then he's powerless. " 

For the first time I truly looked at Cal. He had shaved his hair close to his head, and his eyes looked almost silver in the dim light of the room I was in. 

"It won't work." I told him.

He laughed, shaking his head. 

"You're still tired, Mare. I'll get you something to eat and then the others want to talk to you. " He began to walk out of the room but I stopped him.

"No, Cal, you don't understand. Maven doesn't have his bracelet anymore but he can read minds now, at least mine, and he can teleport." 

"What? How is that possible?" Cal stared at me, his eyes suddenly frantic. 

"Mare, if he can teleport, he can find us. We're not safe anymore."

I thought to myself, When have I ever been in anything but danger?

A/N

OMG GUYS!!! We reached 1k reads! I'm actually so happy right now :0

Thank you everyone for your votes and reads and I'll try to update more often!

-sophiecatface