Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Before obtaining a copy of the game, I had done a little research on the game, after all, one of the Beta Testers had accidentally spilled a little information on his blog, which went viral on a matter of hours. According to him, many of the cities in the game had changed drastically, the most obvious of these changes was that the cities themselves were made much larger, possibly to fit the large amount of players. Yet they also seemed to have what appeared to be hotels and restaurants in the major cities, which was, apparently, not in the original games. I found this to be quite bizarre in the beginning, yet now I realise why they are in this game, in order for players to live in the game without logging out to eat, sleep or use the bathroom. Yet eventually, we were going to need real nutrients for our bodies, or we'll possibly die without ever waking up in the real world, without loosing all our HP in the real world.

------

We eventually made it to Viridian City, where our first order of business was to pick up a parcel for Professor Oak, even the Pokémart had a limit with the amount of players that were allowed to enter the building, the first couple of days were going to be filled with people queuing to get into buildings, I just knew it.

"...How about we come back later?" Kurosuke asks.

I shake my head, "I highly doubt this queue will be going down anytime soon, yet once we collect this parcel I predict it'll be pretty late, so I suggest that we give the parcel to Professor Oak as soon as we get it and come back here, okay?" I reply. He doesn't say anything else after that, he just simply nods.

After sometime, he breaks the silence, "Hey, do you think we'll ever make it out of here?" He asks. The question was so sudden, I didn't know what to say.

"Of course, we'll make it out of here, not straight away, but soon, I will beat this game one day, just you wait." I mutter, taking a step forwards.

After collecting the parcel, we quickly made our way back to Pallet Town, recieving the Pokédex and running straight back to Viridian City. By that time, we were both exhausted, so we decided to call it a night, stopping at one of the hotels in Viridian City for the night.

-----

The next morning, I awoke to see that Kurosuke had left before me, a message was in my inbox.
"Sorry for leaving so suddenly! A friend of mine invited me into a guild, I took up the invitation and joined, if we're gonna clear this game we certainly cannot do it alone, so I took up their invitation, I'm sure we'll meet again! (Well, we will, with rival battles and such!)" The message read.
I closed the screen and sighed, perhaps I should join a guild, eventually. There was really no rush.
Organising my items, I paid the NPC in charge of the hotel the necessary money for the overnight stay and made my way towards the Viridian Forest, stopping at the entrance.

"Wait, I only have Bulbasaur on me, I'll be in trouble in the forest, since it's filled with Bug-Types, I'm going to need a Pidgey or something..." I mumbled under my breath, turning around to go back to the Route separating Viridian City and Pallet Town.

The first Pokemon I ran into in that Route was a Pidgey, perfect. With a few tackles from Bulbasaur and a Pokéball thrown, the Pidgey was the newest member of the team!
I raced back to the Pokemon Centre in Viridian City and healed my Pokémon before doing a bit of extra training and leveling up before making my way to the Viridian Forest.

------

With Pidgey at the front of my party, I defeated the Bug-Type Pokémon in the forest before making my way towards the exit. Just as I made my way to the exit, I encountered a Pikachu, which was quite rare in the forest, to the best of my knowledge.

"A Level 3 Pikachu against a Level 5 Pidgey, it's a bit of a risk, but I'm sure Pidgey'll survive this..." I muttered to myself as I commanded Pidgey to use Tackle on the Pikachu. With one Thundershock from the Pikachu, Pidgey's health was nowhere near halfway, I could still afford a risk, so I commanded Pidgey to use Tackle again. Yet it wasn't my lucky day.
'A Critical Hit!' Displayed in front of my eyes, that Pikachu managed to score a Critical!

"N-No!" I screamed. Yet screaming wasn't going to do anything, all I could do was helplessly watch Pidgey's health drop to zero, shattering like glass and disappearing.
The system asked if I wanted to flee or send out another Pokémon, I had no chouce but to send out Bulbasaur. With Pikachu's HP in the yellow, all I needed to do was throw a Pokéball at the Pokémon and get out of the forest. Taking a Pokéball out of my bag, I threw it at the Pikachu. One... Two... Three clicks and Pikachu was mine.
Returning Bulbasaur to its Pokéball, I put both Pokéballs in my bag and high-tailed it out of the forest, running straight for Pewter City.

Entering the city, I ran straight for the Pokémon Centre and healed my Pokémon before heading for the gym, with the training I did in Viridian Forest beforehand, my Pokémon, well, Bulbasaur, could easily defeat the gym leader.

-----

Arriving at the Gym, I was faced with quite a surprise. No one was waiting in line to face the gym leader. Raising an eyebrow, I opened the doors to the gym.

"Ah? Another challenger? Come other here, please!" A single voice over a crowd of people shouted. Confused, I slowly made my way over to the group.

"What... What's going on?" I questioned.

"We're having a drawing to see who goes next for a gym battle." A blond-haired male who stood next to me in the crowd explained. I didn't quite see his nametag, yet I did notice a particular symbol next to his name, was he apart of a guild?

"Miss? Here, take this slip of paper, this'll determine who goes next, alright?" Another explained, handing a piece of paper over to me.

"Alright, everyone, please open the papers up." Opening the paper up, I noticed a small red dot on my paper. Everyone around me groaned in annoyance.

"Um... D-Did I win...?" I asked, raising my paper up in the air.

"Certainly! Our next challenger who will be facing Brock is... Amika!" He announced. Everyone else made their way towards the grandstand while I took my place in the challengers end of the arena. The arena grew dark, a spotlight flashed on where I stood, practically blinding me. As my eyes adjusted, I could see another spotlight switching on, my opponent standing in the middle of it, Brock.

"Let the second match of today... Begin!" The umpire announced. The first Pokémon in my party was Pikachu, much to my surprise, I thought I had switched it around! Slight chuckles filled the arena, they all must think I'm a total noob! I quickly switched out Pikachu, sending Bulbasaur into the battle. A Tackle attack from the Geodude barely harmed Bulbasaur, a single Vine Whip attack knocked out Geodude in one hit. That would surely stop all that chuckling in the arena.
Once Onix was sent out, I commanded Bulbasaur to use Vine Whip once again, knocking it out the same way as Geodude. Victory was mine.

"Congratulations, Amika! You have defeated the first gym leader and you have earned the Boulder Badge!" The umpire announced. As excited as I was for recieving the first badge, another thing began to plague my mind, why was the gym leader still here?

"Um, both of your Pokémon were defeated, why are you still here? If you don't mind me asking..." I asked.

"I still have other Pokémon, all identical to the ones you battled, you see..." Brock explained. He opened his menu, entering a few commands. A window appeared in front of me, he had sent a picture. Slowly, I tapped it, an image of a PC box was shown, filled with Onix and Geodude.
"Even if my Pokémon are defeated in a gym battle, I will not disappear, I suppose it's an advantage to being a gym leader in the game, but at the same time, I wish I didn't have this role, I would prefer to be an ordinary trainer after all."

"It's kind of unfair, it's like Gym Leaders, Elite Four Members and Champions are given immortality while everyone else could easily die out in the field. Although I'm sure everyone here would like to be a gym leader, especially in a game like this, but it's a little unfair, don't you think?" I asked. There were a few nods in the audience, even the umpire agreed. Turning on my heel, I headed for the door, I had no need to stay here.