Chapter 6

It was about a year ago, around the same time that PWO was announced, I had entered a competition for an online shooter game, it was the final competition they were holding, since the games servers were going to be shut down once the Nervegear was released, so they could make a game compatible with it, as well as any other virtual reality device brought onto the market.
The competition itself was all over the internet, numerous live-streams, as well as several reporters at the event. Thinking about it made me nervous, yet it didn't stop me from competing.
I was a solo player, much like I am now in PWO, it was a habit for me, avoiding parties and such, although with a bigger risk, I didn't particularly mind it.
There were people betting on the day, for who would win, who would lose in what round. They were certainly shocked with the end result. Many had assumed that I would lose in one of the first rounds, of course, I definetly showed them what I was capable of.
Not only did I make it to the final round, but I defeated my opponent, a high ranked player, ranked higher than myself, much to the surprise of everyone who attended, even me!
Of course, when it came around to accepting that award, well, let's just say that what happened a few moments ago was a mere repeat of the incident. News of it spread world wide within hours, and it was quite humiliating too.
Yet right now, in this death game, someone knew of this secret. It was a rule at the competition for all competitors to use their usernames. So the one who knew of it... Was someone who knew both my former username for that game and who I am in PWO, it was the only likely explanation. Although it didn't matter, everyone was going to know sooner or later.
This person... It had to be Giovanni, there was no other explanations. He was most likely desperate to win, so desperate that he would use cheap tactics such as this.
To find my answers, I was going to have to win the battle. With this determination, I was able to fight through my fear, even only temporarily. I wasn't going to die within this world, not here, not somewhere else, never.

I opened my eyes once again, jumping to my feet within a few moments. Upon noticing the crowd again, I begun to feel a little dizzy. I closed my eyes in response, ignoring the sound of the crowd, mentally wiping out their very existance. Only me, Giovanni and Kurosuke were here, me, Giovanni, Kurosuke. Taking a deep breath, I opened my eyes.
"Venusaur! Razor Leaf!" I screamed, shooting my hand forward. The grass-type Pokemon attacked the rival Nidoking, yet the attack only did normal damage, like a normal type attacking another normal type.
"Poison Sting!" Giovanni countered. While the poison-type attack would only do normal damage to Venusaur, it managed to get a critical hit, much to my surprise! Since Venusaur's HP was already low, it was defenceless against the attack. My jaw dropped as I helplessly watched its HP drop, anger building up inside me. I couldn't let my guard down, even when I clearly had the advantage. Regardless... I still had an ace up my sleeve.
"Vaporeon! Come on out and use Surf!" I shouted. Without hesitation, I sent out Vaporeon, who quickly avenged the fallen Venusaur. It was obvious how furious I was, angrily glaring at my opponent, it was time to wrap this up. I didn't even hear what move he commanded his final Pokemon to use, nor did I pay attention to it, I was focused on victory. As soon as the second Surf attack hit it's mark, the victor had been declared. Once the battle ended, I could once again here the audience, yet due to the fact that my attention was focused elsewhere, I didn't react in the slightest. Instead, I marched right over to Giovanni.
"Congratulations on that victory, here is the-" Giovanni starts, before I interupted him.
"Cut the formalities, I'd like to know something before I accept the badge," I explained, taking a deep breath.
"How did you know of my stage fright? You must have known, to use such a tactic in the middle of battle." I was speaking in a rather bitter tone, it took me a great lot of mental strength to prevent myself from lashing out at him.
"Well, I didn't have a clue at first, but you might want to ask your friend over there. I wasn't the one who knew of it first." Giovanni explained, gesturing towards Kurosuke, who was still leaning against a wall, he hadn't moved an inch. I took a few steps towards him, glaring in anger.
"I'm sorry... Amika." He replied. He tried to explain his reasoning, yet I ignored it, swinging my fist right for his face.

A/N: I'm praying that there are no mistakes in this, aside from the ones I managed to find here and there, I'll probably snap if I find one. That aside, the next chapter is ready to post, yet I'm going to wait until tomorrow before reading over that, I find errors more quickly if I don't look at something for a while. (Yes, I know of the existance of spell check, I just type this on my iPad and I have the equivalent to spell check disabled, so...)