Dead.

Remus Lupin sat in his favorite chair and curled up with his favorite book. Well, it was a photo album but still. He laughed as he came across a picture of Sirius and James. They were covered in mud and Lily was standing in the background look unamused yet stunning in her wedding dress.  He turned the page and laughed loudly.
  "Who died?" Sirius asked, walking out of Remus' bathroom
  "That was a laugh and come look at what I found!" Remus called to him

Sirius walked out into the sitting room and leaned over just as a knock sounded at the door.
"Minny!" Sirius exclaimed as he opened the door
   He didn't seem to notice the grim look on her face.
  "Professor McGonagall, is something wrong?" Remus asked coming to the door
   "May I come in, Mr. Lupin?" She asked, attempting to keep the tremor out of her voice
   "Of course." He replied, stepping out of the way.
    She stepped into Remus' small secluded home and looked at the boys. Her boys, sadly.
  "Minerva?" Remus asked, calling her by her first name
  Minerva looked up at the two boys-no, two young men and attempted a smile. Tears began to flow down her cheeks.

"The Potters." She managed to choke out.
  "James and Lily?" Remus asked "Are they alright?"
Minerva shook her head.
"Dead." She gasped through her tears
Remus broke, collapsing into Sirius' arms. Sirius carried the weakened young werewolf to the sofa and looked into Minerva's eyes. His own dark eyes seeming to become darker.
  "Professor, I-I have to go." Sirius stuttered
   "Sirius." Minerva said, reaching for her student
   "I have to check on Peter." Sirius said "Professor, just-just look after Remus. Please."

With one last glance at his best friend, Sirius left the small secluded cottage. That day, he ended up in Azkaban for a murder he never committed.