Mistakes Come in Many Forms

Zayn's POV:

"I'll be back..." I murmured, to Brooke and Harry.

Both of them, were on the couch, basically what they did every single day. "Do we even have to ask where you are going?"

"You probably already know...." I trailed off.

Brooke sighed, rubbing her small bump on her belly. "Don't you think that you might be bugging her? Just a bit..."

I looked down, not exactly knowing what to say. "I just... I want her to know that we are here for her... Even if Liam doesn't pull through. I know how hard it was when Molly and Amber died, for me."

Brooke thought about it for a minute. "Okay..." Harry also nodded in agreement.

I nodded back, turning around on my heels. This was what? My fifth time coming in here today.... Yesterday she seemed too aggravated, so I didn't bother her much. I just didn't want her to feel alone.

The door creaked open, the way it always did, and I marched down the same old stairs which managed to still support me. I noticed the temperature change in the basement immediately. It was probably 20 degrees colder...

"Hey, Zo!" I called as soon as she came into my view.

She sat in the middle of the room on the floor, next to Liam. We tried to move Liam to a bed, but Harry and I didn't want to hurt his legs, and we tried picking him up... But with his full dead weight, it was practically impossible.

So, we compromised. And made him a pallet on the floor with blankets and pillows. It seemed fine to me.

"Hi, Zayn." She responded.

I shuffled over to her, trying to be as calm as possible. "Aren't you cold down here?"

"No."

I placed my hand, onto her arm. "You feel cold. Why don't you cover up more...? I know I'll make a fire. That's what we're doing upstairs."

I started to move over to the fireplace, when she stopped me. "Zayn, please you don't have to do that. I feel fine the way I am. You're just not adjusted to the temperature yet."

I was about to protest, but something told me I shouldn't. "Well, if you say so."

I sat down beside her, and wrapped myself in Liam's blankets. "So... What day is it today?" I asked, knowing that she would be keeping count.

"Day 99." She murmured, barely even looking at me.

"It'll be day 100, in a couple minutes. The clock in the kitchen said it was 11:30 at night." I replied. Ever since Harry and I figured out the clock worked, we've been using it... a lot.

"What does it matter? He's just going to sleep through it."  Her eyes were focused on a distant object.

Wait, did she just accept that he's not waking up? Is she finally admitting, that Liam's not going to make it?

"You don't think he's going to wake up?" I asked.

 She was quiet for a second. "Maybe... I can't really decide that."

I glanced at Liam, who seemed less and less alive each day. "I hope he wakes up still."

"Me too."

 "You know... Just because he isn't here, exactly, that you should just drain yourself on him." I was trying to word it as smooth as possible.

She sighed, releasing her hand from his. "I know. But I just can't stop thinking about it."

"Remember, when I very first found you... with Molly." I started.