Prologue

Shining-gaze padded to the Moonstone. It lit up as the starlight touched the smooth stone, and a glow like all of StarClan itself filled the cave. She lay admiringly in front of the stone and pressed her nose to it, drifting quickly into sleep. 

The FireClan deputy woke to see nine StarClan cats, and among them was Flamestar, the former leader of FireClan who had died from a battle with WaterClan. He had been pushed into the lake and he didn't know how to swim, and he drowned. 

"Welcome, Shining-gaze," mewed Flamestar, "to StarClan. Are you ready to receive your nine lives? 

"I...I...I think so," Shining-gaze meowed back. 

Flamestar gave a curt nod to the first cat in line. It was Pinetail, her father.

"With this life, I give you trustworthiness. Use it well to trust in your Clanmates, and they trusting you as well." Pinetail touched noses with Shining-gaze, then padded off to the side so the next cat could come. 

The next cat was Grassberry, the medicine cat died shortly after Shining-gaze had been born. 

"With this life, I give you kindness. Use it well to be kind to who you know to be." Grassberry touched noses just as Pinetail did, and stood next to her father. 

When Shining-gaze saw the next cat, her heart ached. It was her sister, Leafkit, who had died from a deadly greencough epidemic a moon after they had been born. 

"Leafkit..." 

Leafkit brushed her small tail over Shining-gaze's mouth to silent her. "With this life, I give you what I had not; strength. Use it well to help you through tough times." Then she sighed and whispered, "I miss you, older sister."

Shining-gaze nodded. "Me too..." 

* * * 

Flamestar stepped forward. "With this life, I give you faith. Use it well to always believe in your warrior ancestors, as they believe in you." Flamestar flicked his tail.

All of the StarClan cats rose. "I hail you by your new name, Shiningstar. Your old life is no more. You have now received the nine lives of a leader, and StarClan grants you the guardianship of FireClan. Defend it well; care for young and old; honor your ancestors and the traditions of the warrior code; live each life with pride and dignity." Flamestar flicked his tail again.

"Shiningstar, Shiningstar, Shiningstar!" cheered the StarClan cats. 

Then, all cats swept away except for Shiningstar and Leafkit.

"Leafkit, is there something wr-" She stopped. They were on the border of StarClan, looking into the Dark Forest. 

There was a dark gray she-cat with a small ginger kit. It looked like the she-cat was teaching the kit something. Battle training, perhaps...?

Leafkit's throat rumbled into a growl. "Darkness who had fallen, shall rise. Light shall be tricked into the darkness, and the forest will be covered in blood!" 

Shiningstar closed her eyes and backed away. She was shocked from Leafkit's harsh tone. But when she opened her eyes again, she was in the cave, lying in front of the Moonstone. Next to her was the FireClan medicine cat, Poolstep. 

"This is horrible...," murmured Shiningstar. 

Poolstep looked confused. "Are you okay, Shiningstar?"

"Um, yes." Shiningstar lied. "It was nothing; bad dream, that's all. Come on, let's get back to camp."