Introduction

I have something to say. Its the 12th of Nevern, and I have to speak, because I don't have much time. This night won't last forever, like I'd like it to.

The suns are out, they've descended over the mountains, and I'm standing on the wall above Faregothe. This wall surrounds the whole city, and I'm the one who has to stand here and guard it at night.

My name is Aven Compilly, the last of the Arowan blood, and I plan to let it remain that way. I'm never leaving this wall, or the family that I was trained and cursed to protect. If you listen, I will probably have time to tell you everything about me. I've forgotten so many things about my past, but at least this I remember: I am a young man, of the age of nearly sixteen years, and I plan to die very soon.

Its not my choice to die, its my legacy. Our family has killed themselves brutally for the line of Faregothe kings, and I'm not different from the others. I am a bitter person, forgetful of the past because I wish to be.

But there are things I have to remember so I can help the near future, for this kingdom, and for my own family - for my little sister, Eya, too, especially. Something has come that I never expected. I was prepared for any kind of dried-blood scenario when I came back here from my training, but this is much different.

The king is in danger, but as the Arowan, I am not allowed to speak to him unless we are alone. That is hard to do, because his wife and kids are always with him - and because I am supposed to remain a secret to all but the Crowned King himself.

It is easy, sometimes even a hoot, to remain a close shadow against the kingdom's wall most of the time. I even get to sneak around the High Palace all I want, as long as I stay out of people's sight. I'm allowed to spy and watch whoever catches my fancy. The king is usually within ten feet of me, though, so I can run towards him if someone attacks him, or if he falls. King Nettick is getting on in years.

The High Palace is just a cool, fanciful name for the home of liars, cheaters, and plain fools. The queen has been having an affair with one of the king's counts for seven years. I almost slit his throat, but when I told the king what was happening, he said Queen Mara would have her punishment one day.

I was mystified, but I listened and obeyed. King Nettick has two sons, one of them is the heir to the High Throne of Faregothe. His name is Darist, and I don't get along with him very well. He has a snotty way of doing things.

The black sky above me kind of reflects the way I feel right now. I've had trouble sleeping lately, but I guess that's because it happens so rarely. During my training we were allowed to sleep for two hours a night, but now I barely do that. I'm almost always awake, I have so many things to do, night and day.

Its a gruesome kind of life, but when it catches up with me, I like to lock myself up in my chain room and sleep in there. Its a wing made off of the king's High Suite, so I can climb in there if something awakens me.

Oh, have I mentioned yet that all sounds come to me from fifty feet in all directions? That is not a pleasant incentive to sleep. But mostly, I can tune out what isn't important. Sounds of distress, pain, or even the slight sense that something bad will happen, wake me up, and I have no choice in the matter.

That's why I've worked out a way to sleep with my weapons in my hands. Sometimes that helps, sometimes it just makes me cut myself when I wake up.

But that is not what I have called you hear today, not to listen to my present life. Not yet, at least. I must go back in time, to places I have erased from thought and memory, because of how painful they were.

But this is for Eya, so you can tell her everything you know. I hope you can take this information carefully, and perhaps write it down, so that when you see Eya, you can give this to her. I never was any good at writing, so I'll just have to say it.

I'm going to die.

I know what will fall to her when that happens, and it will happen tonight. That's what this is so urgent. So please listen, please take to heart these words. They involve all the lives in this vast city, and they also involve you, and me.

It began when I was eight years old...