Prologue

The rain fell down hard that nyght, but it had been storming for quite sometime now and nobody gave it a second thought as thuds were heard in the distance. We never even noticed that the distance was closing in on us, we just kept doing whatever it was that we happened to be doing. Akemi-neechan was doing the dishes and she wouldn't let me help, Tarōta-niisan was working on an assignment from school that he tried to trick Okaasan into doing for him, and my parents were at their looms with bright smiles on their faces. Since there was nothing left to do, I sat down between them and serenaded my family. The weather didn't dampen the jolly mood in the slightest.

However, the front door breaking down sure did.

Okaasan and Otōsan exchanged weary looks, their amber eyes shining with what I now understand to have been primal fear, as the first man stalked towards us with his head hung low.

"Is this the Kaneko residence?" he asked in a gruff voice, his face still down and hidden from us.

"Aye," my mother hesitantly nodded.

The stranger was dressed in black, and it looked like it was tar instead of just some tight clothes, as he finally lifted his head to reveal his face. His eyes were wrong and the partial mask that he wore sent chills down my spine. When I say that his eyes were wrong, I mean two things: they were oddly coloured and there was a distinct lack of humanity in their inky depths. What was supposed to be white was as black as his inky attire and the only spot of colour in those two wide abysses of darkness were two small red dots that must've been his pupils.

"Good," his face twitched, raw hatred filling what once had been blankness.

With that, he lunged forward and took a bite out of my father's shoulder.