Chapter One

"Hello! Welcome to Ishikawa Academy! My name is Bunko Ishikawa, I'm the headmaster and founder's niece and I'm also the school consoler. I'm so pleased to meet you!" she grins, forcing herself into my personal space in order to shake my hand.

"Greetings," I groan and push away my new cousin.

"It's my duty to show you around and give you a rundown of the rules. What's your first block class, Akia?" Bunko's brown eyes glitter.

"Let's see.... English?" I show her.

"Oh, you're in the 3-A class with Ken Kaneki!" Bunko squeals.

"With whom?" I narrow my amber eyes at her.

"You'll meet him, and a bunch of others, soon enough! Let's get you to English with Kohaku-Sensai first, though," she giggles and tows me away.

Annoyed, I let somebody younger and shorter than me drag me across a very posh campus. Even the sakura trees seem full of themselves at this place, so I'm not exactly looking forward to meeting Yukiteru Ishikawa. He's the guy that built and runs this place, he's also the idiot that decided to adopt a sixteen-year-old that specifically asked to be on her. I'm good at housework and I've had a steady job for the past six months, though these students are apparently not allowed to have even a part time career.

I glare at the obnoxious trees, not appreciating the flowers that keep falling on me or their obtrusive scent.

The classroom to which I'm led is packed full of people, their uniforms all looking clean and pristine. Their confused faces turn my way as Bunko explains the situation to the woman standing up front with a piece of chalk in her wrinkled hand. I'm told to take a seat and my eyes are glued to the salt and pepper coloured bun atop her almond shaped head. Luckily, my seat is in the back and nobody tries to strike up a chat with me. Bunko, my new and unwanted cousin, stands behind me and just waits. Feeling annoyed and admittedly anxious, I turn to the boy next to me in order to ask for his notes and find myself gawking.

Hello, that's sure as fuck not the uniform!

He's got half of his head shaved and a weird bun, facial piercings galore, and a Batman jumper. I glare down at my teal jacket and honey toned skirt, wondering if this kid has some spares that he's willing to lend to an orphan~ especially one with amnesia.

"You're the girl from the news, right?" the boy suddenly asks, sounding bored.

"I suppose that I am? I've been avoiding those particular radio and TV station to be honest," I cringe with a shrug.

"I'd probably do the same if I were you," he nods, still monotone.

I'm not sure to respond to that in the slightest.

"My name is Uta," he slowly extends his hand my way like he thinks that a handshake will make me piss myself.

"I am Akia," I accept his offered hand and smile.

He seems... sorta... Familiar?

"Class is over now, so would you like me to show y-"

"YES! Show her around and be her friend! Classmates should alwa-"

I drag Uta out of the class and away from Bunko before I notice that we're no longer shaking hands but holding them. My fingers reflexively drop his, my arm sharply returning to my side as I avert my gaze and blush.

He's used to this or he doesn't care, cramming his hands back into the pockets of his black jumper.

"What's your next class?" Uta asks, sounding very bored.

"Oh, I have literature with," I grab the paper from my bra, "Oda-Sensai."

He nods and starts walking away from me. Struggling to stay relatively close to him, I follow him the best that I can.

"Your class is right across the hall from mine. Ken Kaneki is in your class for this block. He's nice," Uta waves dismissively at me before entering his class.

Who's this Ken Kaneki that everyone keeps mentioning?

With a sigh, I walk into the classroom and introduce myself to the teacher. At the back of the room is Bunko, which leads me to believe that this bitch has some teleportation powers or something. Calmly taking my seat, I turn to the kid at the left of me and ask for some notes. Her purple hair is pretty and she hands over a page with a grin.

"Hi, my name is Touka," she grins cheerfully.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Akia," I flash her a closed eye smile.

"You're new right? Well, 3-A has lunch before third block starts. Given that this is a 3-A classroom, I'm gonna figure that we're in the lunch then. Wanna eat with my boyfriend and I?" she giggles.

"Oh, sure!" I grin.

Making friends really isn't as hard as shojo manga makes it look, huh?

We're reading one of my favourite stories, "The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter," which puts me in a further excellent mood. I'm asked to read Kaguya's dialogue and I squeal on the inside with glee, gladly doing so. Once I've finished and return to my seat, Touka sends me yet another grin and I'm pretty sure that I've skipped finding a friend and have instead landed a best friend.

I'm so talented!

I laugh to myself and nod, crossing my arms and smirking in triumph.

"Do you have a bento?" Touka stands up and asks.

"Yeah, my adoptive mother made it for me!" I pull it out and show her.

"Pretty," her eyes look glassy.

"Um... You can have the box if you'd like?" I bite my lip.

Her eyes light up instantly.

This friend thing is a lot easier than I expected!