Chapter 5

Storm yawned, he was still in the hot cage, though it was beginning to cool down with the setting sun. His legs felt stiff, and he was very uncomfortable. The car pulled into a driveway hidden by a forest. It drove beside a barn, and parked. The man got out of his car and started to grab the crates out of the back of the car. A man and a woman grabbed crates from the trailer too, they were pulled into the barn. After they had gotten all the dogs inside the barn Storm's trainer took him out of his crate and muttered some words to the other people. The man took Storm into a stable, and dropped the lead, walked out, and closed the stall door. Storm put his front paws on the door, he peered over to see a man taking out a dog he didn't recognize. Storm set his paws on the ground again, he heard the dog whimper and whine. Then after a bark and whine, the barn was quiet. The men took another dog, and it happened again, and again, and again. Storm grew impatient, he wondered what was happening in the barn. Storm peered over the door, he saw Rocky confusedly looking around. Storm's trainer approached Rocky, he raised a cleaver. Rocky looked up and saw the man raising the cleaver. Rocky ran, trying to escape the barn, but his lead was tied to a pole. The man grabbed Rocky, and pushed him to the ground. Rocky tried to bite him, but he wore big gloves, protecting his hands from any harm. The man shoved Rocky's head to the ground, and hacked away at this flesh. Rocky caught Storm's eye, and held it for a few seconds before his breaths went silent. Blood poured out of the huge wound in Rocky's head. Storm howled and pleaded for the men to stop, but time after time, dog after dog, they killed. Finally there was no more, at least 30 bodies were pilled on top of each other in one of the stalls. The metallic scent of blood stung Storm's nose, he tried to get the attention off him, but the men knew he was there. Storm's trainer entered the stall and grabbed his lead, he pulled him out, and back to the car. The man let Storm sit in the front seat, he began to drive away, but not without gathering 10,000$. Storm stared at the man, studying his features.

"Hey Storm, how's it going? I got 10,000$ for all those useless dogs. Those dogs are going to be shipped over to Asia, cool right? Now you, me, Prize, and Light are going to be able to sell the stadium and compete in more championships! I'm going to start training daily too, we've only got about 5 greyhounds now, the fastest ones. I used to do that with dogs, I've only just started again. My old fastest ones were... I believe... To The Moon, Rocks On The Bank, Fire In The Sky, that's all I can remember though.," The man chatted away.

Storm felt a deep rage grow in him, if the man hadn't lied, Rocky was one of his best dogs, yet he had so mercilessly killed him. Storm laid down on the seat, he knew that he wasn't meant to be in the race anymore. But what could he do? He had no experience with the world, and had no way to escape the man. They drove for a long, long time. Finally the car skidded to a halt, the man attached Storm's lead and took him into the kennel, only to grab the other 4 dogs. The man took all four dogs into his car, and drove away again. This time he went into town, and stopped at a fairly big house. He took all the dogs inside, only to go into the back yard. He had 6 large kennels in his back yard. But instead of putting the dogs inside the kennels he let them explore the house and the back yard. Storm recognized Prize and Light, but there was 3 other dogs he did not know. Storm walked towards a small greyhound and a medium sized one.

"Hi I'm Chasing The Storm, but you can call me Storm," Storm smiled.

"I'm Thunder In The Meadow and this is Flying colors! Call me Thunder and him Fly!" The small black greyhound barked, he had a white chest.

"We've already met Thunder, hi Storm nice to see you again!" Fly smiled.

"Hi I'm Running With The Wind, but call me Wind," The third greyhound smiled.

After Storm had introduced himself he walked inside the house. The back door led straight into the kitchen, it was fairly large, with a tile floor. Then into the living room. A child was sitting on the couch, staring at a tv. Storm walked up to her and sniffed, she had a sandwich, and Storm wanted it. He looked into her eye and pleaded, she laughed and handed him a piece of the peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Suddenly a small dog burst into the room, barking and growling at Storm.

"What are you doing this is my home! Out, out, out!" It squealed.

"Calm down! My name is Storm and my trainer brought me and 4 other dogs here, I'm not staying permanently anyways, who are you?" Storm barked.

"My name is Bear and I'm an iggy! or and Italien greyhound, whatever you want to call it! Why are you here master keep greyhounds at the stadium," It barked.

"i think he sold it, anyways I guess I'll go then," Storm barked, backing up.

Bear eyed Storm suspiciously, "Hey Storm I'm going to get someone, make sure the other greyhounds are ALL calm okay?"

Storm nodded than left for outside, the other greyhounds were all playing and exploring. Storm yawned and laid down, he began to doze off.

"What! Bear these are kennel dogs! In MY house with MY puppies! W e can't have that we must get them out of here NOW" A high pitched bark whined.

"M'lady they're not staying for long, I promise, and shouldn't it be good for your puppies to meet racing dogs? They can get to know their fate a little better," Bear barked.

They had gathered all the dogs in the yard's attention now. Every racing dog was cautiously looking at the concerned mother dog.

"Ahem, we kennel dogs have manners, we aren't just some untrained dirty street mutts," Prize hinted.

"But you're not house dogs! Therefore you'll all stay outside and not be allowed inside, and no going anywhere near my pups!" She screeched.

She had obviously stepped on a nerve for Prize, he strutted forwards and entered the house, leaving the female dog boiling in rage. She chased after Prize.

"I'm very sorry everyone, usually Princess doesn't act this way, perhaps you all should push her boundaries a little, but keep cautious, and don't go near pups please," Bear sighed.

The greyhounds nodded and went back to their business. Storm got up and followed Bear into the house, though he hadn't liked Prize very much, Storm didn't want him to get hurt. Storm found them in the living room, Prize was in a stance with his head held high, and Princess was snarling viciously.

"Hey Prize, perhaps we should get some practice before the next race? Besides its below you to hang out with dogs like her," Storm barked, trying not to sound to mean.

"Your right Storm, besides If I'm going to kick your butt next race I better get some practice," he sneered.

Storm let out the breath he'd been holding in, Princess, though still angry, was happy the dogs were leaving. Storm followed Prize out of the house, and he and Fly practiced racing around on the large yard for the rest of that day.