Chapter 8

Storm yawned, the other dogs were still fast asleep. He was glad that he didn't have that dream again. Storm got up, careful not to wake Fly or Bran, he walked to the stream and sipped the cool water. Then he walked to the garbage can he and Bran had eaten from, but it had not been refilled, or put back up. Storm walked farther down the road, he heard a dog running behind him, and turned around to see that Fly had followed him.

"Hey Storm, sorry I followed you, I just... wanted to talk," Fly shyly barked.

"Sure Fly, what's up?" Storm smiled.

"Well, I was just wondering, when did all the dogs go to the kill place? And why?" He asked.

"Well, Rocky was being taken, and I was barking like crazy, so I guess the man decided that I could come. Then I was in a tiny crate, for hours, and then we stopped beside a barn, then we were taken in, I was put in a stall, and well... that's when it started," Storm recalled.

"R-Really? That's so sad, I'm sorry Storm," Fly whimpered.

"Its okay, I just don't want that to happen to any of you. So where did you come from Fly?" Storm asked.

"Well, my pup days are faint, but I remember being born in a family, they always chose other pups than me though. The child girl picked me up once and threw me, I sprained my paw, so I was a little glad they didn't pay much attention to me. Anyways I was sold to a man with really big hands, he put a worn old muzzle on me and tied me to a pole in the middle of a circle. They let huge pitbulls attack me, just to raise their aggression, and I was fed so little I could barely stand. Then there was a collie, she refused to fight me, and was shot in the head right in front of me. One day some people came in, and took the men with big hands away. They also took every dog away, into a shelter, then they helped some dogs, but were forced to kill some, but they didn't do it slow, they did it fast and easy. I was lucky, they helped me, and made me stronger, smarter, braver, but I still remember the days the big handed men had dogs attack me. Anyways I was taken home by a nice looking gentleman, he was always stressed, and lived with someone else in a small room... a dorm I think he called it. I escaped out the back window, and wasn't able to find my way back after. That man, our old trainer helped me, he made me a racing dog. Then this happened," Fly recalled.

"Really? I never knew you'd been through all that! Wow Fly! I can't believe you survived al-" Storm was cut off.

"Hey guys we're getting some food, want some?" Bran barked.

"Yea," Fly and Storm barked.

Before Storm knew what was happening he was flipped upside down and trapped in a net. Through the green wires he saw Fly and Light panicking in their green wire nets. Bran was held in some man's hand, the woman who had caught Storm walked up to the man and high fived. They cheered and loaded the greyhounds into a car. Storm panted in stress, though the dogs were to busy trying to escape the wire mesh to talk to each other. Soon the back door slid open, the woman picked up Storm and walked into a room filled with dogs. They were put into a cage occupied with 2 other dogs.

"What just happened!! Where are we!!" Bran panicked.

"Calm down Bran, panicking doesn't help. Okay... we were captured and are now in a pound okay? We'll all get taken away and be given nice homes with loving people,"

"WHAT!" Light gasped.

"Hey calm down dogs! Greyhounds are pretty popular, unlike mutts like me, but you know I'll get taken eventually. So you'll all get ut of here, specially you pup, you're little so people like you," An old dog smiled.

Bran calmed a bit, he was still shaken by the events though. Storm whined and laid down by Fly and Light. He slept the fear and confusion away. He was awoken by dogs howling and laughing, the lights were out now.

"Told ja' the powers gonna go owt charliee!" A voice huffed.

"Ye ye, whateva," Another barked.

"Owe me a bone n' don't forget it!" He chuckled.

All the dogs quieted, Storm fell asleep again. Ding dong, ding dong Storm lifted his head. A woman with a bright smile approached the cages, she looked at every dog, but stopped and gasped at Storm's cage. She immediately grabbed Bran and hugged him. She took him out of the cage and walked to the front office. The old mutt raised his head and chuckled.

"Told ya so,"

Storm got up and pawed at the door. The old mutt raised his head and scowled, "Only do that when people are here! If not its just racket for the rest of us,"

Storm sighed and laid back down. Several people came in that day, none took dogs from Storm's cage though. Storm woke the next day, none, next, none, next, none, and so on for four more days. Storm yawned, he was getting bored of being stuck in the cage. He stretched his legs and pawed at Fly's ear. Fly snapped at Storm's paw, catching it in his mouth. Storm nipped Fly's neck, and before he knew it he was in a heated play fight session with Fly. They didn't even hear the woman come in, she stopped in front of their cage, and laughed at Fly's foolish tactics of trying to get Storm. She beaconed over a man and pointed at Fly and Storm. He nodded and took out Storm and Fly. Storm fought against the man's strength to try and get Light, but he was dragged into the office, then into the car of the woman and man. Storm and Fly had to sit in the back of a truck, it was a whole new experience fro both of them. Wind hurled against Storm's fur he peered around the edge of the car, but the wind stung his eyes. Fly tried to do the same, but found it impossible to see. Storm let his tongue flap in the wind, he found that he enjoyed it. Fly copied him, and before they knew it they were both having a blast. The car pulled into a drive way. The woman hooked on a lead to Storm, he was taken inside a house. The woman shouted something to someone. Then two teenagers rushed down the stairs and hugged both Storm and Fly. They cheered and hugged the woman and man. The female teenager ran upstairs, and came back down with a kong. Storm bolted forward and began to play tug a war, he had missed his kong so much. The other teenager raced upstairs and down, but produced a stuffed duck. He and Fly wrestled over it. Eventually the teens tired out and sat on the couch, Storm decided to join them, unsure if he was welcome. They boy teenager petted Storm and attached a collar onto him. A knock on the door interrupted Storm's happiness, the woman opened it. Storm recognized the face of the man. Storm's former trainer was at the door, and by the look of It he wanted both Fly and Storm back from the family.