Chapter 12

The man took Storm home, he didn't lock any of their cages that night, trusting the dogs to stay at his house. Storm smirked, knowing the man had misplaced that trust. As soon as all the lights went out in the house Storm got up from his cage and was about to jump the fence when Prize started to bark wildly at him. Storm looked terrified at him.

"Stop Prize!" He whined.

The man came out and saw Storm about to jump the fence, he grabbed Storm collar and tugged him away, attaching a heavy chain that dragged across the ground to his cage. The man kicked Storm, and beat him till Storm bled from multiple wounds. He saw a devilish grin cross Prize's face as if saying 'that's pay back kid, next time don't brag about getting better than me' Storm limped to his comfy bed and slept. He woke to the man's angry voice, he seemed still angry about last night. Storm crawled out of his comfy bed, the blood had dried from the night before, and matted his back and white fur. Prize strutted to the man's side, the smug brindle yawned, not a care in the world. Light gasped when she saw Storm, she began to frantically lick the dried wounds. The black brindle was overly concerned with Storm's condition, or so he thought, when he tried to turn to lick her back pain jolted at his back and crawled up his spine. Storm whined, Light's eyes widened, thinking it was something she had done.

"Sorry Storm! What did I do?" She whined.

"Nothing, its my fault," Storm laughed.

"How can you be laughing in this condition?!? Storm lay back down! And try to clean some of those wounds," She directed.

"I doan' wanna," Storm whined.

"You sound like a child! Hurry up Storm, you're really hurt," She barked.

"Haha as if I don't know that! Alright fine," Storm sighed.

Storm crawled back into his comfy bed and licked his legs, where blood had spurted out the night before. Light crawled in with him and worked on the spots he couldn't reach. The man took Prize, Fly, and Dutch Steed to the training track. Storm tried to get up, but he was pushed back down by Light. He sighed and went to sleep. He slept for the rest of the day, and into the night with Light at his side. He woke the next day, and was able to get up with minimal pain, he tried to walk, and was able to. He began to run, he wasn't to pained. The man had watched Storm test himself, and took him to the training ring.

"Alright boys we're headed to the dog champion shit, winner gets 1 million dollars plus all the loser's bets so I'm pushing you guys SUPER hard," He told the dogs.

Storm sighed, he gnawed on the Kong that the man had forgot in his moving crate. They stopped at the familiar sight of the training ring. Storm was first, as usual. Storm set a fast pace, but his trainer whipped him, telling him to go faster. Storm began to go into the zone where his energy diminished fast, but his trainer whapped him again. Storm ran faster, losing energy fast, his trainer didn't whap him this time. Storm ran for that fast as long as he could, until his legs didn't let him. Storm slowed slightly, apparently his trainer would allow it, letting him go un whipped. Storm ran at that pace for the rest of the track, but his trainer yelled at him to keep going. Storm confusedly continued running. He ran for another lap around the race track. Then his trainer allowed him to rest, taking out Prize. Storm was pooped, he'd never ran the two laps. The man finished with Prize and took Storm again, for the second time Storm had to run two laps around the tracks. They practiced until sundown, then their trainer took them home and fed them, though Storm was stuck on the heavy chain. Storm played with Princess' pups, they had grown a lot since Bran had been banished from the litter. Apparently for days after Bran left Princess would rant about everything he'd done wrong, and how he was her worst favorite. She'd talk about how secretly she was glad he'd left, though every dog knew it was just a mirror to hide her pain. Storm rested by Light's side, the black brindle was becoming more protective over Storm, as if he was a milk pup. Though Storm didn't mind, he enjoyed her company. Storm walked into his crate and fell asleep in his comfy bed, he didn't notice Light come in and lay by his side.

"All dogs awake! Prize, Storm here boys we've got to get you two prepared for champion ships, you'll be racing each other! Garett is going to be your 'owner' for 250$ Prize, so I'm going to have two chances to win a million dollars," The man rambled.

Storm got up and walked to the man's side, he clipped on Storm's leash and got him to hop up in the back seat of his car, along with Prize. They drove to the training ring. The man pushed Storm, he had to run as fast as he could go for one round of the ring, and slightly lower on the next, third time around Storm was allowed to go pretty slow, it was mainly a stamina building exercise. Then he did the same for Prize. Instead of Storm going all by himself the man made Prize and Storm go together, as a race. Storm started out strong, being a little faster than the brindle, but Prize's stamina overtook Storm, and by the end of the race Prize had edged ahead. The man gave the dogs a little rest, then went to work on Storm again. The man trained until sunset again, then he took them home. Storm was too exhausted by the days work to play fight. Storm ate his cup of food and lapped up some cool water before laying down and falling into a deep sleep. Storm woke the next morning, he was immediately fed. He was taken into the back seat with Prize, and driven deeper into the city. They stopped at a big stadium, filled with people. Storm was amazed at the amount of people that were stuffed in the giant stadium. Storm was led behind the racing stalls, he waited as each greyhound got their practice run. Storm wore the number 2 coat confidently, he was taken into his stall. The announcer shouted his name and some other words, before yelling go. Storm ran, letting his paws take control and plan his pace. He sped across the track, rounding the first corner. He sped up a bit, and rounded the second corner. He began to run at his full speed, and rounded the third corner. He sped across the finish line, and was taken back to where prize was. He wore a red coat that had the number one boldly drawn in white paint. He finished his practice run, the dogs were given water, then herded into the stalls. Storm caught his breath as he eagerly waited for the door to open.