Why I Never Went Onstage

My name is Foster Barnes. The first thing you need to know about me is that I am shy. Very shy. I have struggled with it my whole life. When I was little, I couldn't even talk to other kids my age. I was so scared of them. I couldn't really talk to anybody besides my parents. Mom and Dad took me to see a nice man in a suit. He asked me some questions. A few days later, Mom and Dad told me I had Social Anxiety, and a very bad case of it. Since then, I went to see Dr. Teagan, my therapist, every week. He was a very nice man, and always listened to what I had to say.
At age 8, I saw my first broadway show. The show was "The Sound of Music," and I was absolutely blown away. The lights! The songs! The acting! It was all so spectacular. Since then, I saw many broadway shows. All I ever asked for for birthdays and Christmases were tickets to shows. I've seen Newsies, Wicked, you name it. I loved each and every one of them. I knew that someday, somehow, I wanted to be in those shows. Not just watching from the seats in front, but actually being a part of the show. Up there, acting, singing, dancing. I got up my courage and took private dancing, singing, and acting lessons. It was nice that way, because I didn't have to be in a class with other kids. But I had never actually been in a real show before.
School had always been an issue. Homeschooling wasn't an option, as I had two parents who had busy jobs that took up all of their time. We tried online school, but that didn't work out. The lack of personal attention and the inability to get help from a teacher set me back. So, normal school it was. Elementary school was fine. I had a few friends. But when I got to middleschool, I learned just how mean kids could be. I got bullied. I had no friends. That shattered my confidence even more.
Now, highschool was just around the corner. I was going to West Lake High School. I was so scared. And my Mom, thinking it would help me, signed me up for theater. I told myself that I would pull out as soon as I could.
But when I learned that the show they were putting on this year was The Sound of Music, everything changed.