Theater Class

I talked to Leondre for the whole lunch period. He would ask me questions, and I would give the shortest answer I could. 

"So, what kind of electives are you doing?" he asked towards the end of lunch.

"Theater," I said quickly.

"Really? That's awesome!" Leondre said. "I do theater too!"

"Really?" I asked, looking up at him.

"Yeah! I'm a huge theater nerd!" he said.

"Cool," I said, smiling. "Me too."

The lunch bell rang.

"Well,  I'll see you in theater, then!" he said, got up, and left. I felt a smile creep across my face. I think I just made a friend on my first day of high school.

Soon, it was time for electives. Theater was during school, so I went to the large, dark room. The class was held on the stage, believe it or not. So, I reluctantly joined the group. I sat, of course, in the back corner. 

"Welcome, everyone!" a cheerful man near the front of the stage said. He waved his arms around as he talked. "My name is Mr. Bentley. I am your theater teacher. Today we are going to learn what this year's musical is."

Mind you, I had absolutely no idea what it was at this point. I still had the idea in my brain that I was going to quit theater ASAP.

"So, we've given this a lot of thought and consideration, and we've decided that West Lake High school is going to put on 'The Sound of Music' this year." 

Cheers erupted around the room. I was stunned. My favorite musical of all time! Now I couldn't just quit!

"Auditions are going to be held next week. Non-theater students are allowed to audition, but theater students have a much higher chance to get in. I expect you to be there!"

The rest of the class consisted of reading over the script, learning about the parts, and just learning about the show in general. The whole time, my brain was racing. I couldn't back out now! I had always wanted to be in this play! I had to be in it!

When I went home, I felt nothing but confusion. I couldn't go onstage, but I had to.

What was I going to do?