What the Heck am I Going to Do?

"So how was it?" Mom asked. She was usually there after school.

"Fine," I said. Mom raised an eyebrow.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. It was fine, Mom." 

"Did you learn about the play?" 

"Yeah."

"Well?"

"They're putting on The Sound of Music."

"Oh, honey!" Mom said, putting a hand on my shoulder. "That's great! Now you can finally be in that show!"

"I guess," I said, scrunching down into my seat. Despite all the years of therapy sessions she had come to with me, I still didn't think she fully understood what that would be like for me. Sure, it was my dream, but then again, I would have to sing, dance, and act in front of PEOPLE. Real, live people. 

"When are auditions?"
"Sometime next week."

"Ah," Mom said knowingly. "So what part are you going to try out for?"
"I don't know," I said in despair. "I don't know if I even want to try out!"
"You should, honey," Mom said. "This is an amazing opportunity. You've hidden your talents for too long." She turned away, but spoke over her shoulder. "Think of at least two parts to try out for."

I sighed, and pulled my hoodie over my face. 

What the heck was I going to do??

That night, I thought hard about who I wanted to try out for. Of course I had always dreamed of playing Maria, but that was the lead part. I couldn't do that! I decided to try out for Lisle. It was a good part, and it was smaller than Maria. If I didn't make that, I would try out for Louisa. An even smaller part.

Good.