Chapter 7: Strike

"What are we'sgunna do, Jack?"

I look up at him, and I see he's looking at Davey—David. Then he turns and looks at me. "What about a union?" I ask him quietly, wanting to help.

"Yeah, a union, that's what we'll be," Jack says. He starts talking with the boys and David- Nah, I still like Davey better. Davey doesn't seem to like this idea, but after a lot of talking and explaining from Jack, he agrees.

Jack stands up in front of everyone on a wooden box. "Pulitzer and Hearst, they think we're nothin'. Are we nothin'?"

"No!" we all yell, already getting on board with this idea.

"Even though we ain't got hats or badges, we're a union just by sayin' so!" Jack's yelling gets everyone's attention. "And the world will know!"

Jack reaches his hand out to me and pulls me up with him to address the group. "What's it gonna take to stop the wagons? Are we ready?"

"Yeah!"

I decide to continue. "We'll do what we gotta do until we break the will of mighty Bill and Joe! And the world will know! And the Journal, too!"

Davey joins our conversation, saying, "if we're going to strike, shouldn't someone in charge know about it?"

Our group quickly agrees, and we all make our way in front of Mr.Pulitzer's building. Jack, Davey, and Les go in and, less than two minutes later, are thrown out.

"And stay out!" A man yells from inside.

Les starts saying how he will be sorry and stuff like that and ends with, "I think he got it."

"So what now?" Specs asks, not knowing what to do.

Jack looks around and looks at me with pleading eyes for help. The other boys don't notice because it's a look he only gives me for some reason. "Why don't we tell the other Newsies about our Strike and our union," I say. "We could use more help, and I'm sure it will happen to them soon if it's happening to us now."

"Yeah, we gotta spread the word!" Jack says, getting everyone's attention as he earns a cheer from the boys. "Alright, we gotta have people to tell the others, so who wants Queens?" He says as he starts sending boys off to places. "Okay, who wants Brooklynn?" Jack asks, and no one answers. "What you all scared of, Brooklynn?" He asks.

"We ain't scared of Brooklynn, but Spot Collins makes us a little nervous," Romeo says honestly, earning a few laughs from the boys.

"Alright, Madie; you, me, Davey, and Les will go to Brooklynn, alright?" He asks me. I nod my head, and we start on our way to Brooklynn.