Chapter 25: The End?

Jack came down to greet us on the street. "Well, Madie, I think we really did somethin great today," he tells me as he reaches us.

"Yeah, I think you're right," I tell him. 

He wraps me in a huge hug in celebration that is interrupted by a familiar sound.

Sirens and angry yells stop both of our smiles. Spot starts yelling, "Madie, it's ya father! Get outta here!"

Jack grabs my arm, ready to help me run away when someone stops him. It's Theodore Roosevelt. "You don't have to worry about that man anymore, you two," He says.

Jack looks back at me with a confused look as some car stops in front of Jack, the boys, and me. Then, someone comes out of the back.

"Crutchie!" Jack yells. All the newsboys from Manhattan run up and hug him while cheering. I come over and join in in all the festivities.

I see someone else step out of the car beside me. The crowd's roar goes silent. I turn to see none other than my father. But, he is handcuffed, and a police officer is behind him. I feel a hand on my shoulder, and I look to see it's Mr.Roosevelt again. "He's going away for a very long time. You don't have to worry about him anymore," He tells me.

"Sweetie, won't you help out your father?" Snyder starts asking me in a sickly sweet voice. He tries to get out of the hands of the officer as he talks to me. "Tell them the truth, won't ya?"

I look him right in the face as I speak. "You are everything they think you are and so much worse."

He yanks himself away from the officer in hopes of getting to me but fails miserably. One officer drags him away as another comes to talk to me. "So you're his daughter? Sarissa?" He asks me.

"Yes, sir. What do you need?" I ask him back, wondering what he could need.

"Well, you should know that any asset he has now is yours. Where could I find you to discuss this with you further?" The officer asks me.

"The Manhattan newsboy's lodging house. Good day sir." I walk away and go over to where Jack and Mr. Roosevelt are talking.

"Whadya say Madie?" Jack asks me.

I stop next to him and look at him confused. "What do I say about what?" I ask him back.

"Mr.Roosevelt here says he would drive us anywhere we want." He seems so excited as he talks. "How about we go down to Santa Fe finally?"

"Jack," I start. "I ain't going nowhere. And I don't think you should either." I look out at the newsboys of New York. "This is home." I look at Spot and Race. "This is our family." Then I look at Jack once again. "This is where we belong. Besides, I think I'm about to be rich. We could make a happy life for all of us."

Jack stands there and contemplates for a second. He finally responds, "Don't take much to be a dreamer all you do is close your eyes"

"But a made-up would is all you'll ever see," I tell him.

He walks a little closer to me and gives me a side hug. "Now my eyes are finally open, and my dreams are average size. But they don't much matter if you ain't with me, little sis."

"Ey Jack!" Spot yells, coming closer to the two of us. "Can I have your permission to do something?"

Jack nods and lets go of me. I look confused at him as Spot comes up to me. He grabs my arms, spins me to face him, and he gently kisses me on the lips. I can hear the boys yelling in the background, but I don't care. Spot pulls back and looks me in the eyes.

"I've wanted to do that for so long," Spot tells me.

"Um, excuse me!" Weasel yells. "I think I heard the strike is over? So are you hear to buy papes or not?"

Jack walks over toward him as he says, "Ah, calm your horses. We'se comin." He takes out his nickel and slams it on the table. "My usual."

And just like that, our world went as back to normal. Well, as normal as being the only girl newsie can be.