Chapter 8: Getting Mad

We start on our way to Brooklynn. The boys talk, but I don't pay much attention to their conversation. That is until Davey decided to speak to me.

"So, why are you called Madie? Jack tells me every Newsie got their nickname for one reason or another. Why is your nickname Madie?" He asks me, walking next to me as he speaks.

"Didn't Jack tell you already? He seems to really take a liking to you and your brother," I say in a sarcastic tone. I walk a little faster, hoping he will leave me alone.

"No, he didn't tell me. All he said was that everyone has their name for a reason. What's your reason?" His questions start to piss me off, but I try my best to not let him get to me.

"Let's just say people don't call me Madie or Mads for no reason," I say, looking away from him, not wanting to answer his question.

"That really doesn't answer my question," he says, trying to get a better answer.

"Well, that's all you need to know about my nickname," I tell him.

"Well, if you won't tell me about your nickname, can I know your real name? Or mabey, can I know about your family?" He asks, a hint of hopefulness in his voice.

I look at him and say, "if I wouldn't tell you about my nickname, why would I tell you about my life."

"It was just a question no need to be mad about it," he mumbles, clearly not understanding why I am called Madie.

That puts me over the edge. "Why do youse want to know all about me? Whatever the reason is, you should stop. The only peoples that know about me are Jack and Crutchie and a few other newsboys. Not even all the newsboys know about me, and Ise known em much longer than Ise known you. So if you think I'll tell youse everything after ise just met youse, well you'll be sadly mistaken...." Before I could continue, Jack grabbed my arm and dragged me away from Davey. "Thanks," I whisper to him harshly.

"Calm down, youse still upset, and Ise don't want you to cause trouble with the boys in Brooklynn again." Jack pauses before continuing. "And youse welcome." He tries calming me down as we walk up to the bridge into Brooklynn.