List of Psychological Disorders (C-D)

1. CONVERSION DISORDER

Etiology

Two schools of thought prevail in the etiology of this disorder. One is the psychoanalytic theory which posits that unconscious conflicts cause the 'conversion' of this conflict into physical symptoms. The other suggests that a disturbance in the central nervous system results in this disorder, but neither theory has shown strong statistical evidence.

Symptoms

Symptoms such as deficits in voluntary motor or sensory functions which are not intentionally produced but which cannot be fully explained by a physician. There must be a significant impairment in functioning or a history of resulting medical treatment and not better explained by another disorder.

2. CYCLOTHYMIA

Etiology

Research on this disorder is not nearly as well documented as its counterparts. It is assumed that both biological and environmental factors play a role.

Symptoms

Like Bipolar II Disorder, symptoms of cyclothymia include periods of hypomania (see above). Depressive symptoms are also present as the hypomania fades. These symptoms. However, are not meet the criteria for a major depressive episode, in other words, are not as severe as those found in Bipolar Disorder.

3. DELUSIONAL DISORDER

Etiology

The cause of delusional disorder is not known. Some studies suggest a biological component due to increased prevalence in first degree relatives of individuals with the disorder.

Symptoms

Non-bizarre delusions including feelings of being followed, poisoned, infected, deceived or conspired against, or loved at a distance. Non-bizarre referred to real life situations which could be true, but are not or are greatly exaggerated. Bizarre delusions, which would rule out this disorder, are those such as believing that your stomach is missing or that aliens are seeking you out to be their leader. Delusional disorder can be subtyped into the following categories: erotomanic, grandiose, jealous, persecutory (most common), somatic, and mixed.

4. DEPERSONALIZED DISORDER

Etiology

As with other disorders in this category, an acute stressor is often the precursor to onset.

Symptoms

This disorder is characterized by feelings of unreality, that your body does not belong to you, or that you are constantly in a dreamlike state.

5. DYSPAREUNIA

Etiology

There is a relationship of this disorder with victims of rape and sexual abuse. May also be related to vaginismus.

Symptoms

Recurrent or persistent genital pain associated with sexual intercourse. Can be diagnosed in males or females, is not better accounted for by another diagnosis (psychiatric or physical) and is not the direct effect of substance use.

6. DYSTHYMIA

Etiology

Not as much research has been done on Dysthymia as on Major Depression but there is support for a biological undertone as well as maladaptive ways of coping with the environment.

Symptoms

Depressed mood for most of the day, for more days than not, and ongoing for at least two years. During this time, there must be two or more of the following symptoms: under– or over eating, sleep difficulties, fatigue, low self-esteem, difficulty with concentration or decision making, and feelings of hopelessness. There can also not be a diagnosis of Major Depression for the first two years of the disorder, and has never been a manic or hypo-manic episode.